Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By DimSumBond
  • 1 Post By MandM!

Singapore's minimum property size

Closed Thread

Singapore's minimum property size

https://m.scmp.com/business/article/...imum-home-size

Singapore Vs HK

What are your experiences from living in the two places. Pros Cons and which one is the winner.
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

The title is a little misleading. Yes, of course if you compare Singapore's older condos with Hong Kong's more recent (i.e. the last two decades ) housing options. Singapore's more recent developments (within the last decade) are on the smaller side with a lot of short cuts in construction and less than useful layouts.

Hong Kong's housing issue will not abate any time soon...

shri, jimbo and markranson like this.

For tenants: Singapore is better. Rents have been flat or down up to 10% over the last 5 year period - actual transactions that I saw over numerous condos. Probably this was due to government cooling measures plus immigration tightening. Also, no jack up of rents after 1 year into a 2 year tenancy contract. And tenant doesn't pay agents fees. A lot cheaper on a per square foot basis as well.
    For owners/investors: HK. Don't need to elaborate for the residents

Singapore is actually in a "quiet" economic contraction. This has been going on for the last few years as Singapore is sensitive to global market conditions due to it's export and wealth management focuses. Rentals have actually gone down well over what was asked ten years ago. I expect significant fund outflows, continued low activity capital markets and continued lowering in property. Tightened immigration has little impact when the economy isn't doing well anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:
    Singapore is actually in a "quiet" economic contraction. This has been going on for the last few years as Singapore is sensitive to global market conditions due to it's export and wealth management focuses. Rentals have actually gone down well over what was asked ten years ago. I expect significant fund outflows, continued low activity capital markets and continued lowering in property. Tightened immigration has little impact when the economy isn't doing well anyways.
    GDP growth figures don't show this contraction.

GDP figures are easily published. Typically get a better feel for the economy when you see it in action, get a feel of the flow of people and the type of business activity that is being focused on.