Like Tree172Likes

4% retirement rule - valid in HK

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:

To do a rolling for treasury bond, i think each clip is 200k USD ?
    You can do it with fixed income etfs..

https://www.ishares.com/us/resources/tools/ibonds
    Last edited by shri; 02-08-2022 at 11:02 AM.
    pin and Hkemail888 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    Don't think any.. just in hk its more commonly executed as a fixed deposit whereas some other countries uses certificate of deposit ?
    Asia issuing certs are expensive i guess...

To do a rolling for treasury bond, i think each clip is 200k USD ?
    I guess so. I guess the issue is the interest rates for fixed deposits in HK are terrible.
    shri and saltywetman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    I guess so. I guess the issue is the interest rates for fixed deposits in HK are terrible.
    but would be fairly similar everywhere in the world when Fed sets the interest rate at 0 for so long.. if fed sets it at 0 and any bank still willing to give 4-5% of rates, i would be wary of that bank

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    You can do it with fixed income etfs..

https://www.ishares.com/us/resources/tools/ibonds
    Throwing this document in for future reference if someone has questions about iBond specific ladder implementation.

https://www.ishares.com/us/literatur...us.pdf?noembed
    Last edited by shri; 11-08-2022 at 11:39 AM.
    huja likes this.

@huja - had an incorrect link in the post above. Meant to link the redemption NAV stats...

The study finds that a retiree planning to replace 80% of their working income would see the probability of hitting a financial shortfall increase from 13% if they retire at age 65 to almost 35% if they retire just three years earlier at age 62.
    . . . However, the study found that the risk of running into a financial shortfall was greatly reduced if retirees didn’t leave work entirely but continued to earn income by working just 10 hours a week. In that case, the shortfall risk fell from 12% to 5%. Retirees who remain active also see an improvement in their overall health and well-being, which can reduce their medical costs.
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/early...215801882.html
    traineeinvestor likes this.

"Retirees who remain active also see an improvement in their overall health and well-being"

I think that this is so important. From what I have witnessed, those that go from a typical 50 hour work week, then suddenly nothing, seem to go downhill physically and mentally pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by becomjapanHK:
    "Retirees who remain active also see an improvement in their overall health and well-being"

I think that this is so important. From what I have witnessed, those that go from a typical 50 hour work week, then suddenly nothing, seem to go downhill physically and mentally pretty quickly.

Couldn't agree more.

One of the oft quoted mantas in early retirement forums is that you don't retire from your job, you retire to something better.
    huja likes this.

How are we doing GXP?

We're on course at Casa Huja. In a recent meeting, our money guy pushed us hard to do some heavy estate planning - which is the polite way of him telling us we're getting fucking old.

Getting in on a near-historically low mortgage about two years ago was a stroke of luck and sorted out the housing part of the retirement equation.

Big-ticket spending has been exclusively on home improvements as putting money into an appreciating asset helps me sleep well at night rather than pissing it away on the opposite (i.e. new car and frozen chapatis)

Kibbutz is on hold and probably has a less than 25% chance of happening as our fellow potential kibbutzers are in different stages of life and we are all in different financial situations (didn't someone write the kids are the greatest destroyers of personal wealth?). It'd be foolish to count on anyone else in a retirement plan.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    Couldn't agree more.

One of the oft quoted mantas in early retirement forums is that you don't retire from your job, you retire to something better.
    Easier said than done. I kept noticing that colleagues who left it to 65 visibly unravelling in their final year.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast