Like Tree54Likes

2019 - Mortgage Refinancing

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast
    bdw

2019 - Mortgage Refinancing

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    So I guess you have had your 2019 tax loan sorted then.
    haha no I've been rejected for tax loans because I have too many! But something I am now considering is to refinance my mortgage with Standard Chartered. My current mortgage is down to around 25% of property value. They are offering me a 1.95% cash rebate if I sign a piece of paper that says I won't leave them for the next 24 months and I can even draw more out of it up to 50% of property value (so another $3 - $4 million). The only catch is I would lose my current mortgage rate H + 0.7% which over the last 10 years has been a fantastic rate (around 1% total) but these days is not so good anymore. I'm just wondering whether to give up on this now and take the 1.95% cash rebate.

@bdw - There is never a slow day in your life. Save some money to buy us drinks...

MandM! likes this.

The only catch is I would lose my current mortgage rate H + 0.7% which over the last 10 years has been a fantastic rate (around 1% total) but these days is not so good anymore. I'm just wondering whether to give up on this now and take the 1.95% cash rebate.
    If your call is H will hover above 1.5%, go for it mate, either way you will hit the cap and pay around 2.25%.. Pocket in 1.95% rebate, draw 3-4 mil, pay back your tax loan, remit left over to AUD (Averaging previous remits/ pay back mortgage etc), you will be free for another tax loan before next year..
    bdw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    @bdw - There is never a slow day in your life. Save some money to buy us drinks...
    @shri - could you separate this into a new thread, about mortgage refinancing as this is something I'm actually looking into as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nivantj
    If your call is H will hover above 1.5%, go for it mate, either way you will hit the cap and pay around 2.25%.. Pocket in 1.95% rebate, draw 3-4 mil, pay back your tax loan, remit left over to AUD (Averaging previous remits/ pay back mortgage etc), you will be free for another tax loan before next year..
    Can't pay back tax loans early? I thought there are penalties for doing this.

Yes i know, was just making sure bdw should not go out of credit and must get Tax loan anyhow..

(split out of the Xiaomi thread)

bdw

@shri Thanks for splitting it out, sorry for changing topic

Yeah I've still got 2 and 3 years to go on a couple of tax loans and they are locked in with good rates and I have no interest to pay them back early. If I was to remortgage and redraw with SCB now, it would just be to pocket a quick 1.95% and then probably send the money to Australia and could just about completely pay off my mortgage there and it's fairly sure HK rates would always remain a few % lower than Aus. Even if HK rates go up as predicted, Aus rates are also predicted to go up.

It does seem like a typical thing for HK'ers to refinance their mortgages every 2 years and pocket 1-2% cash back. One of my mates in the office here is laughing at me because I've had my mortgage for 10 years now and he's shocked I've missed out on 5 rounds of rebates and all I have to do is sign a piece of paper to say I won't leave for the next 24 months. I did try to explain to him my rate is H + 0.7% which is the reason I havent been doing this but still he's probably right if I can keep getting 1.95% back every 2 years then that's effectively a big drop in the interest rate so probably I should have been doing this .

Now I'm talking with SCB and still on the fence about whether to do or not. They are offering me already P - 2.9% but they said they can try and get me P - 3%. They are suppose to come back to me within a few days to see if they can offer this rate or not.

What happens to your Mortgage insurance/protection plan (MIP), if you have one, does it get rebooted every time you refinance your loan with another bank? If so, isn't it practically zero sum game by getting 2% cash rebate on one-hand and pay-back roughly 2% for MIP every time!!! In case of MIP with bank, it looks like you are paying back full loan to bank A and getting another loan with new MIP with bank B.. Not sure if equation changes if MIP is with HKMA..

What is this MIP thingy? Not something mandatory is it?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast