Like Tree24Likes

Ireland Domiciled ETFs

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by omigosh:
    shri, Sith and jrkob, Thank you for your help on this thread as well as on the other threads which I have read! The tools provided also are very helpful in the process of my consideration on which ETF to buy. Thank you and best wishes
    What did you decide?

Keep us updated.

Have been following thread, just not had time to reply.

Hi pin, I'm looking at VWRL, IWDA and HMWD now.
    As you probably already know, they're all global funds with 2 of them tracking the MSCI and one the FTSE.
    All are in USD (which suits me as I am heavy on USD, having sold considerable USD based stuff).
    From my research, IWDA's fund size is the largest, around 18 times that of HMWD and more than 6 times that of VWRL. However, IWDA is accumulating, whereas the other 2 are distributing, and I prefer accumulating..
    As for TER, HMWD is the lowest, being 0.15%. All are domiciled in Ireland, which suits me.

Which one would you go for, if the aim was to get a global equity ETF as part of my Core in my portfolio?

I am still finding this somewhat confusing. The more I research, the more questions I come up with.. But I have learnt a lot in a short period of time since I started!

After doing research and getting help from this forum on Ireland domiciled ETFs, I recently bought some IWDA.

I am now seeking help in relation to another issue:

I have some Australian currency in my account. At the present moment, I do not wish to convert this into USD or other currency to invest. I wish to buy a tracker fund (reasons being simplicity and relatively low costs/expense ratio) in the AUD currency.

Are there any Irish domiciled funds that are in AUD? I couldn't find any ... Is there any search tool that I could use?

What about Australian domiciled ETF funds? As a non-resident, would I need to pay any tax other than the withholding tax on dividends? (e.g. inheritance tax, like for US domiciled assets?)

Apart from tracker funds, any suggestions on what I could invest the AUD in?

Many thanks for helping!
    Paxbritannia likes this.

Are there any Irish domiciled funds that are in AUD? I couldn't find any ... Is there any search tool that I could use?
    (iShares) SAUS or (UBS) AUSAUW through the Swiss exchange. No clue about taxes... let us know.

Found by searching "AUD UCITS ETF" on google. There might be others.
    omigosh likes this.

Thanks shri.

On the taxation part, this is what I found so far:

On another expat forum I found this answer (but the question was asked some years ago):
    If you are a non resident for tax purposes, you won't need to pay capital gains tax on any gain relating to buy/sell of Aussie shares, regardless of where the execution takes place.

The withholding tax would only be applicable to dividend income you received from the shares. However, if the dividends are fully franked, then the withholding tax will be nil.

And on the ATO website:

•••••••••••
    Foreign residents are taxed in Australia on income earned from their Australian investments.
    For interest, unfranked dividends and royalties, tax is generally withheld in Australia at the time of payment. But if you receive rental income from Australian properties or capital gains from selling Australian assets, you must declare these amounts in an Australian tax return.

and

Capital gains on Australian assets

A capital gain is the difference between what it cost you to get an asset and what you got when you sold or otherwise disposed of it.
    If you’re a foreign or temporary resident and you make a capital gain when you dispose of 'taxable Australian property', you may have to pay capital gains tax (CGT).
    Taxable Australian property includes:

• a direct interest in real property, or a mining, quarrying or prospecting right to minerals, petroleum or quarry materials
    • a CGT asset that you have used at any time in carrying on a business through a permanent establishment in Australia
    • an indirect Australian real property interest. This is an interest in an entity, including a foreign entity, where:
      • you and your associates hold 10% or more of it
      • the value of your interest is principally attributable to Australian real property.

Taxable Australian property also includes an option or right over one of the above.
    •••••••••••

Am trying to find out which ETFs listed on the ASX are actually "cross-listed" US domiciled funds, so that I can avoid those...

Where do you buy these Ireland domiciled or LSE traded ETFs? I can't find IWDA etc on Schwab, TD Ameritrade nor HSBC Easy Invest.

Quote Originally Posted by M4ndy:
    Where do you buy these Ireland domiciled or LSE traded ETFs? I can't find IWDA etc on Schwab, TD Ameritrade nor HSBC Easy Invest.
    Seconding this question. I guess Saxo and Interactive Brokers work, but do Sofi HK, TD Ameritrade HK, or any other 'free' brokerage work for Hong Kong citizens?

Quote Originally Posted by M4ndy:
    These brokers listed dont have access to LSE.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganH:
    Seconding this question. I guess Saxo and Interactive Brokers work, but do Sofi HK, TD Ameritrade HK, or any other 'free' brokerage work for Hong Kong citizens?
    DBS - expensive on the transaction. But their (DBS stock) dividends more than cover the costs for me.

I guess there aren't many 0% commission brokers accessible in Hong Kong with free trades, but I think that might change as the race to bottom with fees has been ongoing for many years in the U.S. and it has started in the last year or two in Hong Kong. HSBC and other banks now let people open accounts with no minimum balance fees and other 'dumb' fees. I'm also hopeful virtual banks will encourage all players to lower all their fees. I think HSBC is still holding out with regards to their ridiculous trading fees, but if enough people move their assets away to another broker they might lower their fees eventually.

Interactive Brokers seems like the best bet for accessing the greatest number of exchanges for the lowest cost if you have 100,000+USD in liquid assets that you're willing to bring under their purview.

Saxo might be second at least when comparing with other brokerages that give you access to pretty much everything (US, London, and so many more exchanges are accessible) and I think they have lowered their fees probably due to increasing competition, and I'd hope that they'd continue to lower things like their exchange fees, the custodian fees (0.12% with 5USD/month minimum), and other in my opinion high fees.

I think for my situation, I'll continue to use Schwab and M1 Finance, but eventually once I save and invest significantly more money I'll help my wife set up a brokerage account that leverages her HKSAR only citizenship and residency status (versus my US citizenship and HKPR and HK residency).