Like Tree24Likes

Ireland Domiciled ETFs

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

BTW there is no such thing as Hong Kong citizen. You are Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    BTW there is no such thing as Hong Kong citizen. You are Chinese.
    Well my wife has an HKSAR passport, and no other passport, but anyway you can believe/think whatever you'd like.
    Paxbritannia likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Well Schwab and many others only went to 0 in the US last year. Robinhood was one of the firsts, and now most brokers don't directly charge for trading most securities besides options.

Virtual banks in HK only launched this year. Sofi HK was maybe the first to go to 0 in HK, and now there is TD Ameritrade HK only this month.

Thus I'll remain optimistic on trading costs in HK and worldwide continuing to race eventually to 0.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganH:
    I guess there aren't many 0% commission brokers accessible in Hong Kong with free trades, but I think that might change as the race to bottom with fees has been ongoing for many years in the U.S. and it has started in the last year or two in Hong Kong. HSBC and other banks now let people open accounts with no minimum balance fees and other 'dumb' fees. I'm also hopeful virtual banks will encourage all players to lower all their fees. I think HSBC is still holding out with regards to their ridiculous trading fees, but if enough people move their assets away to another broker they might lower their fees eventually.

Interactive Brokers seems like the best bet for accessing the greatest number of exchanges for the lowest cost if you have 100,000+USD in liquid assets that you're willing to bring under their purview.

Saxo might be second at least when comparing with other brokerages that give you access to pretty much everything (US, London, and so many more exchanges are accessible) and I think they have lowered their fees probably due to increasing competition, and I'd hope that they'd continue to lower things like their exchange fees, the custodian fees (0.12% with 5USD/month minimum), and other in my opinion high fees.

I think for my situation, I'll continue to use Schwab and M1 Finance, but eventually once I save and invest significantly more money I'll help my wife set up a brokerage account that leverages her HKSAR only citizenship and residency status (versus my US citizenship and HKPR and HK residency).
    just curious but what do your refer as exchange fees?

Well Schwab and many others only went to 0 in the US last year. Robinhood was one of the firsts, and now most brokers don't directly charge for trading most securities besides options.

Virtual banks in HK only launched this year. Sofi HK was maybe the first to go to 0 in HK, and now there is TD Ameritrade HK only this month.

Thus I'll remain optimistic on trading costs in HK and worldwide continuing to race eventually to 0.
    Can you buy on LSE with td ameritrade in Hk?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoadAhead:
    just curious but what do your refer as exchange fees?
    You can check out of all Saxo's fees on their website. They are higher than I'd like, but the issue is finding another broker that gives you as much access, but maybe you don't need access to so many different exchanges https://www.home.saxo/en-hk/rates-an...argin-schedule

As for TD Ameritrade HK, the issue is that it appears to only give you access to US exchanges.

You can check out of all Saxo's fees on their website. They are higher than I'd like, but the issue is finding another broker that gives you as much access, but maybe you don't need access to so many different exchanges https://www.home.saxo/en-hk/rates-an...argin-schedule

As for TD Ameritrade HK, the issue is that it appears to only give you access to US exchanges.
    Thank you.

I believe you are a US citizen so you should probably stick with Ameritrade or IB light, no point in you going after LSE purely for taxation/estate reasons. For overseas markets stick with IB then. I would just use IB if I were you, simple is almost always better.

for non us persons in HK I’d go with IB too. Saxo is not bad. I think Swiss stock is popular now too but not sure about the fees. Either way you can’t really go wrong with any of those but it’s true that the 0.12% custody fees imposed by Saxo can be annoying with large sums. They also charge 100 usd every 6 month if you don’t trade

IB charges me £6 for each LSE trade - anyone know why it is so high?

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    IB charges me £6 for each LSE trade - anyone know why it is so high?
    Tiered pricing for IB is cheaper.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4