Like Tree184Likes

MPF: how to boost returns?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I'm in the same, much poorer, boat. Except all my money is spread across 6 MPF accounts.
    Consolidate?

Quote Originally Posted by periphery831:
    Let me know what you decide, I'm in the same position as you.

I have all my MPF in a Manulife account.

I currently have mine in these funds with zero idea what I'm doing.

Manulife MPF Healthcare Fund 37%
    Manulife MPF Hang Seng Index Tracking Fund 33%
    Manulife MPF North American Equity Fund 30%
    Other than the Manulife charges, I see nothing spectacularly wrong with that ratio, if you're able to withstand some losses. A small part of the portfolio should be dedicated to some growth industry holdings.

(I'm not convinced health care is a enough of a growth industry by itself.. but thats another tangent - and very very specific to what is in Manulife's portfolio. If they hold some AI and tech shares as a part of health care then I'd be more convinced of it).

(I also suspect that the health care fund has a very high charge and perhaps thats why the sales people are promoting it and might be inappropriately incentivised to pitch that fund... but again, that is a Manulife issue.)
    periphery831 and snach like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I'm in the same, much poorer, boat. Except all my money is spread across 6 MPF accounts.
    As @periphery831 mentioned, you can consolidate all your accounts into one. It's quite easy. You fill in only one form with all your accounts and each provider will be notified.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    As @periphery831 mentioned, you can consolidate all your accounts into one. It's quite easy. You fill in only one form with all your accounts and each provider will be notified.
    Not if you have more than one current employer.

Would it be silly to just stick all my MPF in the DIS fund?

I found the Manulife fund fees here and there are two listed fees. One fee and another maximum level fee? Confusing.

Anyone care to explain pages 34-49 and why there are two percentages for each fund?

http://www.mpfa.org.hk/eng/public_re..._Scheme_EN.pdf

Last edited by periphery831; 17-03-2019 at 04:27 AM.

No matter, I found an updated version which explains Manulife's fees in detail.

The fees aren't as bad as I thought but still not sure if I should just stick everything in DIS?

https://www.manulife.com.hk/wps/wcm/connect/pws/439ffa78-397d-4a7c-acdd-070411310ecc/Privileged+Rates+Program_eng_201604.pdf?MOD=AJPERE S

Quote Originally Posted by periphery831:
    No matter, I found an updated version which explains Manulife's fees in detail.

The fees aren't as bad as I thought but still not sure if I should just stick everything in DIS?

https://www.manulife.com.hk/wps/wcm/connect/pws/439ffa78-397d-4a7c-acdd-070411310ecc/Privileged+Rates+Program_eng_201604.pdf?MOD=AJPERE S
    Thanka for that.

I have just stuck all my money in DIS on the basis that it supposed to provide a balanced portfolio at the lowest fees. The Manulife DIS is administered by Vanguard btw.

Even at 0.75, the fees are criminally high, but I have no choice with MPF so I would rather invest in a fund with the lowest fees.

At the end its your decision and you have to do your own research.
    periphery831 and snach like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    OSRO or something like that?
    when i signed up for it i thought it was osro. but osro also administered by the bank and the banks charge you based on their fee schedule.

this one our company has is run inhouse when we appoint the trustee to hold the assets, otherwise investment is done on funds selected and specifically negotiated with the fund managers.. number of funds are kept decent, maybe just 10 of them, and as the asset size is reasonable they probably go into the institutional classes to get such low fees.

maybe i will check with the secretary to see how they do it..
    but unfortunately for the rest of the market this is just an academic study.. can't offer this to you guys.
    shri likes this.

Wow, 0.75% annual fees even for the Money Market fund!? The Monthly Declared Interest Rate is 0.50%, so I'm actually paying them to hold my MPF?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckFan:
    Wow, 0.75% annual fees even for the Money Market fund!? The Monthly Declared Interest Rate is 0.50%, so I'm actually paying them to hold my MPF?
    Ridiculous, right. The Manulife MPF Hang Seng Index Tracking Fund (the "MGHS") has fees of 0.90%. This is what the MGHS does:

"The MGHS is a unitised equity fund that aims to provide medium to long term capital growth. The
    underlying investments are in shares of constituent companies of the Hang Seng Index in substantially
    similar composition and weighting as they appear in the index through an approved index-tracking
    collective investment scheme ("ITCIS") (currently, the Tracker Fund of Hong Kong managed by State
    Street Global Advisors Asia Limited). The MGHS seeks to track the performance of the Hang Seng
    Index of Hong Kong."

It doesn't even do its own research, it just borrows and copies 2800.HK and then whacks on a management fee of 0.90%!!! And this is supposed to be a passive fund!!
    Last edited by pin; 18-03-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    snach likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast