Like Tree29Likes

Would this be a good plan to semi-retire?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Eventually people need to realize their profits. No one knows...

But it's better to get out when it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    But it's better to get out when it's good.
    You mean get out of retirement while you are enjoying it?!

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    You mean get out of retirement while you are enjoying it?!
    I nearly did, permanently .

"Everybody talking about the coming recession" is not a reason to think there will be one soon. Long term investment by internet gossip does not seem a great way forward.
    jrkob likes this.

OP: don't be in a rush to invest your cash. Perhaps start by putting it in one of the promotional fixed deposits at HSBC or where you bank normally and take six months to a year to learn/read offline/figure out what you want to do.

There are some good books in the reading list thread on this forum. Books that have been proven to have solid advice over the last few decades.. Not get rich or retire like a baller type books.

Quote Originally Posted by john_1122:
    Well, everybody in cyberspace is talking about an impending recession, and how they are selling shares and buying bonds. Or are you selling all your bonds and buying shares right now?
    Time tested advice is - do neither.

You're trying to create a retirement plan using aggressive active tactics. What will you made your decisions based on today's buzz and 3 months from now the stock market is up and bonds are down, will you switch and sell your bonds and buy stocks?

Time tested advice is - do neither.

You're trying to create a retirement plan using aggressive active tactics. What will you made your decisions based on today's buzz and 3 months from now the stock market is up and bonds are down, will you switch and sell your bonds and buy stocks?
    Ignore the "get rich quick" schemes. Get rich slowly is the far safer route.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Ignore the "get rich quick" schemes. Get rich slowly is the far safer route.
    The question in my mind is how slow is too slow? Generically look for 7% a year? Split between capital growth and income?

The question in my mind is how slow is too slow? Generically look for 7% a year? Split between capital growth and income?
    At my age, I'm pleased with a consistent 7.5%.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    At my age, I'm pleased with a consistent 7.5%.
    Aggressive.

But no, thats what I think is reasonable - backtested and averages 6-8% a year over a period of 10+ years.

Aggressive.

But no, thats what I think is reasonable - backtested and averages 6-8% a year over a period of 10+ years.
    Yep. In that range I'm in my risk comfort zone as well.