Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GentleGeorge

Where/How to buy bonds?

Where/How to buy bonds?

I know if I want to buy stocks or ETFs in Hong Kong, i open an account with a stock broker (or bank).

If I want to buy bonds, how do people usually do it? through a stock broker? via a bank?

thanks...

You can buy bond funds/ETFs through your broker/bank

Typically single clips of bonds have minimum sizes of around 100,000 which makes them a bit inaccessible to retail investors.

A few issuances are available in smaller tickets at places like LSE ORB (Order Book for Retail Bonds) but it never really took off.

Or you could try a start-up like WiseAlpha.com that gives synthetic exposure to smaller tickets across a number of names, but limited offering ATM. Might be other competitors too.

shri likes this.

If you have to ask, do your research and then look at ETFs. As GG said, you really really don't want to get into individuals unless you are fully aware of how it all works, how bonds are priced, the risks associated with them, taxation issues etc etc.

Am not aware of any liquid fixed income ETFs out of HK which are "interesting" - US and UK markets offer better choices/diversity in my opinion.

(Just like individual stocks - but here you can buy minimal quanities and learn / test).

Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Banks will offer a limited selection of bonds to retail investors in the secondary market in relatively affordable denominations. The pricing is usually not great but its an option.

HSBC's list includes a number of bonds available in USD2,000 minimum purchase amounts (presumably face value).

thanks... so it's better to avoid buying Hong Kong bonds altogether, right?

Instead I should have a good mix of growth stocks, dividend stocks, and some bank deposits (of different maturities and forex currencies), right?

and a portfolio of highly liquid ETFs of different sectors and countries/economies