Like Tree27Likes

Long term investment setup? ETF/Bonds advice needed

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    Set up an account with IB, Saxo or Internaxx.

Invest in the following:

- IWDA
    - EMEI
    - AGGU

Move on with life.

In reality you will continue to do lots of research and ask lots of questions, which is all good. I did the same. I ended up with the above. It works for me.
    If you do this do you have to deal with UK taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz
    If you do this do you have to deal with UK taxes?
    No.
    shri and Kiz like this.

One question relating to the points on the 30% WHT on US ETFs (for non US citizens)

Does this only apply on US listed ETFs?
    So if I bought an S&P500 ETF listed in HK, I would not pay, right? Or if I bought the same ETF listed in London, also would not pay.

Or, is the 30% WHT related to the underlying securities? So the S&P500 ETF would require WHT, even when listed in HK or UK? Is this the same % for HK and UK?

And if so, does the WHT essentially just come out of the ETF profits, so is essentially invisible to the investor?

sorry I know this topic has come up, but I couldnt find a clear answer. Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Mikestranger
    One question relating to the points on the 30% WHT on US ETFs (for non US citizens)

So if I bought an S&P500 ETF listed in HK, I would not pay, right? Or if I bought the same ETF listed in London, also would not pay.

Or, is the 30% WHT related to the underlying securities? So the S&P500 ETF would require WHT, even when listed in HK or UK? Is this the same % for HK and UK?

And if so, does the WHT essentially just come out of the ETF profits, so is essentially invisible to the investor?

sorry I know this topic has come up, but I couldnt find a clear answer. Thanks in advance
    Post #4 explains everything..
    shri likes this.

Quite a few threads on WHT here: https://geoexpat.com/forum/155/ ( @Mikestranger )

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Nonresident_alien_with_no_US_tax_treaty_%26_Irish_ ETFs

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    Set up an account with IB, Saxo or Internaxx.

Invest in the following:

- IWDA
    - EMEI
    - AGGU

Move on with life.

In reality you will continue to do lots of research and ask lots of questions, which is all good. I did the same. I ended up with the above. It works for me.
    In addition to the above, try Degiro assuming you have a UK bank account. If you don't mind hefty fees, try Swissquote.

None of these are perfect, but you can use multiple brokers to diversify the risks.

Why not buy from the cheapest broker and then transfer the stocks to a bank for safekeeping?

lolone and GettingFIREd like this.

Thanks for those that responded on my WHT question.

I understand and that as a non US resident based in HK that I am better buying an ETF domiciled in Ireland compared to one domiciled in the US.

But how about HK vs Ireland?
    eg Is there any difference between buying an ETF that is listed in HK compared to the same ETF listed in Ireland?

Thanks for those that responded on my WHT question.

I understand and that as a non US resident based in HK that I am better buying an ETF domiciled in Ireland compared to one domiciled in the US.

But how about HK vs Ireland?
    eg Is there any difference between buying an ETF that is listed in HK compared to the same ETF listed in Ireland?
    I think someone mentioned that HK and USA don't have a tax agreement, so you would need to pay 30% WHT if the etf is registered in HK. If it's registered in Ireland you only pay 15%.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast