Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Property prices to run higher for another ten years?

Unsure as I haven't counted and ran any sample size. Developers often offer discounts for early complete so they can get the full sum of cash earlier rather than later. Some developer loans are not ideal and going straight to the bank is better. Or buyers will get the first mortgage 50-60% from the bank then a top up loan from the developer for any shortage. This still puts a handful of cash in the developers pocket. Lend 20% to the buyer but charge 5% higher on the property price. Something like this but every price list has different offers.

Primary market is very competitive price wise with secondary market in many areas thus why it's so popular. Yet getting a lucky number is difficult. I have put deposits on several projects and could never get my target unit and only on 2 projects had the option to buy.

"Land reform almost always requires landowners’ interests be subordinate to those of the state, and especially those of the landless. This is not the case in Hong Kong."

That pretty much sums it up. HK is in it's own worst way a terrible example of democracy (housing wise). Kinda like how HK likes to look to Taiwan as an example of democracy. Taiwan people wouldn't really look at their own government as a bright example ew. I wish the government would just grow a backbone and say we're taking the land back. boom! Instead they let these new territory gangsters keep land that has no right to be theirs. It's a big ol mess. We are slowly losing our democratic rights and at the same time don't enjoy the benefits of a autocratic government.

I seem to recall how one poster suggest CY Leung was a glorious leader who would solve the house price inflation. His policy of making flats smaller doesn't seem to of rediced prices.

It was a bandaid. At the end of the day it gave more reason for prices to go up since more people buoy up the low end. Also for price per sqft to increase as well. If you want to buy a 10 mil HKD flat, all you need is more than 5 mil cash laying around plus closing costs. Otherwise just stick to the "low" priced (under 6 mil) ones where you can borrow more. It's kinda hopeless and with the low LTV for expensive properties, the only immediate downward pressure in a price drop comes from smaller flats.
    What can cause the prices to drop? Trade war?

What can cause the prices to drop?
    Money flow from China?
    imparanoic likes this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by jack55
    "Land reform almost always requires landowners’ interests be subordinate to those of the state, and especially those of the landless. This is not the case in Hong Kong."

That pretty much sums it up. HK is in it's own worst way a terrible example of democracy (housing wise). Kinda like how HK likes to look to Taiwan as an example of democracy. Taiwan people wouldn't really look at their own government as a bright example ew. I wish the government would just grow a backbone and say we're taking the land back. boom! Instead they let these new territory gangsters keep land that has no right to be theirs. It's a big ol mess. We are slowly losing our democratic rights and at the same time don't enjoy the benefits of a autocratic government.
    I thought those in the New Territories who had land rights are indigenous Hong Kong people. Hence, the invading/immigrating Chinese from the mainland felt guilty enough to allow them to keep their land?

Similar to how the Native Americans have some benefits from the invaders/immigrants who make up the USA today.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy
    I thought those in the New Territories who had land rights are indigenous Hong Kong people. Hence, the invading/immigrating Chinese from the mainland felt guilty enough to allow them to keep their land?

Similar to how the Native Americans have some benefits from the invaders/immigrants who make up the USA today.
    Invading Chinese? I think you will find it was us Brits who felt guilty enough to allow them to keep their land. The policy dates from the 1970s I think.
    shri and UK/HKboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy
    A poor example. Native Americans overall don't receive many benefits.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast