Like Tree52Likes

Moving assets out of HK?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Fei88:
    I am effect hoping this turbulence on house prices will give me a buying opportunity.

I was here during SARS when everyone believed it was the end of the world. Don't wanna miss the same opportunity again.

Anyone witnessing price drops?
    There have been at least 5 buying opportunities since SARS. The most recent was in February this year when prices were down 10% from August last year peak. Now they have fully recovered and back to peak. So you missed it. How much do prices have to fall before you will buy something? In the meantime, SARS was 16 years ago. Have you been renting for 16 years waiting for an opportunity?

Name:  CCL.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  343.8 KB
    traineeinvestor and eryhur like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    There have been at least 5 buying opportunities since SARS. The most recent was in February this year when prices were down 10% from August last year peak. Now they have fully recovered and back to peak. So you missed it. How much do prices have to fall before you will buy something? In the meantime, SARS was 16 years ago. Have you been renting for 16 years waiting for an opportunity?

Good data - thanks for posting.

The "lost opportunity" is not merely missing the chance to buy at lower prices, but missing out on incredibly cheap financing (HIBOR mortgages were below 1% for several years + offered a decent cash back) and paying more in rent as rents increased over the years.

That said, given how big a commitment buying a property in Hong Kong is, I can understand how hesitant people are to jump in. Taking on that first mortgage loan can feel pretty daunting.
    bdw likes this.

Reviving this thread due to what's going on at present.

Who's looking at alternatives in terms of moving assets out of HK?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:

I’m considering HSBC resilience to the HK situation but from a higher level perspective I don’t see a large financial risk to have your assets lost or frozen like Argentina in 2001 for example.

largest risk so far is real estate but I am optimistic for the (very) long term

Quote Originally Posted by pin:

@pin, as I recall you also use Luxembourg based Internaxx? If so, curious what’s your experience been with them? I know they're known to serve the digital nomad market quite well and I guess would make a good option for your query here too.

Quote Originally Posted by foxwendal:
    @pin, as I recall you also use Luxembourg based Internaxx? If so, curious what’s your experience been with them? I know they're known to serve the digital nomad market quite well and I guess would make a good option for your query here too.
    No real issues with them, although they are in the process of being migrated to Swissquote Bank or whatever they are calling themselves. Lets see how they are under Swissquote's ownership.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5