Like Tree44Likes

Countries and Property Returns

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    The 30 years to pay off a property is a bit overthought. At least for me, I have paid off properties in less than half that time. If you do not overstretch your borrowing power, it's very easy to pay it off early.

Expenses are more stable, with a mortgage, the monthly repayment amount has went down for me, whereas rent for people goes up. Wages, bonuses or income generally goes up over time as well making it easier to pay off debt.

Now of course if you are not moving up in a career then you would experience different results.
    Sure, you can pay off your property in half the time. But I would argue if you have extra cash, buy another property then and pay off two properties in 30 years rather than one in 15 years. But anyway we all have our strategies.
    traineeinvestor and Skyhook like this.

It also depends upon the market, and borrowing from the bank can be problematic (for mortgages). It's easy to use up all of your borrowing power. In the US, mortgage closing costs can easily add on 3% of the property value, plus Sellers always prefer cash buyers. I just aim to pay cash, reap in the returns, then repeat. If you find a Seller financing property then you hit gold. Plus having a handful of fully paid off properties is nicely setting up a retirement package, and you can enjoy all of the returns with very little costs attached.

So, in the US, does anyone have any particular markets to be looking at right now? Most of my experience is in the greater Washington, DC metro area which is mostly expensive these days. But it is a strong rental market as many people come to DC for a short period (political appointees, civil servants trying to get a grade increase and then go home, federal contractors and such). My MD house is also near a military base that has many civilian jobs as well.

But I would like to look at a less expensive market that still has a strong rental component.

Any suggestions?

I used to live in the DC area, property is expensive although returns are not horrible.

As I recall studios were 200-250k in DC, renting for US $1500/month, now probably closer to 2k per month.

Single family homes in Arlington VA were 600-700k, if you get one with a basement you can rent the rooms out individually and get 5k per month. Prices drop considerably the further south you went, still having demand in Alexandria and homes were just 200-300k. I never got too familiar with Maryland.

Single family homes in DC are easily 1m and probably now much higher. The returns depend upon how many units you have. They don't have to be in good condition either people will rent anything. I knew of some people who had 10 bedroom homes earning on average of $1200/month per room. That was then, probably higher now.

Kowloon Goon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    So, in the US, does anyone have any particular markets to be looking at right now? Most of my experience is in the greater Washington, DC metro area which is mostly expensive these days. But it is a strong rental market as many people come to DC for a short period (political appointees, civil servants trying to get a grade increase and then go home, federal contractors and such). My MD house is also near a military base that has many civilian jobs as well.

But I would like to look at a less expensive market that still has a strong rental component.

Any suggestions?
    Southwest states. Colorado, Nevada, and Utah as well.

Very familiar with MD/VA as well. Pretty much only two areas that describe your MD neighborhood... Well, maybe three.
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Huh...Utah, never thought of that...guess I figured all those huge-family Mormons would be having their own large houses and such, very family and home-oriented states. But at some point they must have been single so there must be some kind of rental market. Maybe decent tenants as well, seems less drug usage...

Never been to Utah, know mostly East Coast areas/NE-Mid-Atlantic (lived in MA, NY, NJ, MD, VA, WV). Briefly lived in the Cleveland area which has some of the cheapest real estate around and lots of decent suburban neighborhoods. Owned a house there but was never a landlord so have no idea of rents.

Probably need to go back and do a proper shopping trip in the fall and get a place or two. I have been looking near my brother in Washington County, MD (outside Hagerstown) as most single family houses are well under 200k and yet still rent for about 1000 per month and the property taxes are low. I had hoped he could manage a property but he's a bit crazy- he could do the HVAC, electric, and plumbing but not collecting rent, taking phone calls and such.

200k for Hagerstown is too expensive imo.

Regarding Utah, St. George is up and coming, and close to Vegas.

Nowadays, youth in the US are required to move around a bit, for education (rotations/training) and work. The new thing well at least when I was graduating is the go somewhere for 6 months then hop around to the next to get exposure in many cities. A lot of landlords will not rent to these people, whether they are a foreigner (no tax ID so can't run a credit report), or the short term (<12 months). Landlords and apt complexes just say no. The going rents would be 800-1000/month, but these people would be forced to pay 4-6k per month for a short term rental, and they do it. A lot of companies also pay this. I have one company who is renting 3 of my homes at the same time at a 350% premium. They told me they need one more starting next week. In fact I will buy more property just to meet their demand.

A lot of people in America have a "can not" attitude. For me, money speaks and we get it done.

jack55 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon Goon:
    200k for Hagerstown is too expensive imo.

Regarding Utah, St. George is up and coming, and close to Vegas.
    Hagerstown itself is under 200k by quite a bit. Some of the surrounding areas with better schools are about 180k or so.

Too afraid to buy anything in Hagerstown, high taxes and low quality tenants. Places like Boonsboro, Sharpsburg, Keedysville (brother lives in the last one) are nice.

But, yes, I think it's a bit of a bubble right now so not buying. I am shocked by the prices in Frederick where my rental house is...definitely bubble territory.
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

Frederick is definitely close enough to gov work that any price drop would bounce back at some point I reckon.