Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By freeier

Institutional shares ownership

Closed Thread

Institutional shares ownership

Bought some Toyota stock and saw that hardly any shares owned by Institutions, about 1% only. Yet, of USA car makers more than half of shares owned by Institutions, eg, TSLA 53%, GM 77% and F 55%.
    Other Japanese car makers same as TM, eg, Honda and Nissan under 1% of shares owned by Institutions.
    Good or bad? Or maybe Institutions are USA things and they never buy foreign stocks. And i've read that big Institutions can exert pressure on companies but private owners are satisfied to let managers run the show.
    Should i care for any of this stuff or simply be content with ignorance and a rise in share price?

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    Bought some Toyota stock and saw that hardly any shares owned by Institutions, about 1% only. Yet, of USA car makers more than half of shares owned by Institutions, eg, TSLA 53%, GM 77% and F 55%.
    Other Japanese car makers same as TM, eg, Honda and Nissan under 1% of shares owned by Institutions.
    Good or bad? Or maybe Institutions are USA things and they never buy foreign stocks. And i've read that big Institutions can exert pressure on companies but private owners are satisfied to let managers run the show.
    Should i care for any of this stuff or simply be content with ignorance and a rise in share price?
    From the company's website it looks like most of the shares in issue are owned by institutions. Only 6.2% are held by individuals.

Perhaps you mean there does not appear to be any single substantial shareholder?

Nice upward trend in dividends over the last 5 years.

https://www.toyota-industries.com/in...ock/index.html

Shares
    Market Capitalization(Issue-level, Large Cap) $189.5B
    Enterprise Value $363.8B
    Shares Outstanding 1.398B
    Shares Held By Institutions 1%
    Short Interest (as of 08/30/2019) 0.0%

This info on TM USA shares reported by Schwab USA. Perhaps these shares held as ADR, differ from ordinary shares as reported by TM Japan.

US is indeed an ADR.

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    Shares
    Market Capitalization(Issue-level, Large Cap) $189.5B
    Enterprise Value $363.8B
    Shares Outstanding 1.398B
    Shares Held By Institutions 1%
    Short Interest (as of 08/30/2019) 0.0%

This info on TM USA shares reported by Schwab USA. Perhaps these shares held as ADR, differ from ordinary shares as reported by TM Japan.

Possibly although I would find it strange that such a well known large company does not have any meaningful institutional ownership. Also there is more than one listed "Toyota" company so we could be taking about different companies.

If you scroll to the very last page of the reports for 2019, you'll see a list of major shareholders for what I think are the two main Toyota Companies:

https://global.toyota/en/ir/library/business-report/

https://www.toyota-industries.com/in..._corporate.pdf

ADRs are generally traded by retailers... the insti will buy them directly from Japan as their voting rights are easier to manage than thru the ADRs.

shri and traineeinvestor like this.