Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shri

Volfefe Index: Timing Trump's Tweets....

Volfefe Index: Timing Trump's Tweets....

A play on volatility and cofefe, two things Mr President is known for.

Now, who is going to start a fund based on this new index?

Am surprised it took so long.

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/...94262591242240

From Wiki:

In forming the basis of the methodology behind Volfefe, JPMorgan Chase used software to analyse the corpus of Trump's tweets. 14,000 tweets were used in the analysis to form the initial projections for their software.[6] Their analysts determined that there were direct correlations between tweets and subsequent market movements. These market movements were most notably evidenced when the tweet specifically references financial matters including the US Federal Reserve. The tweets issued during the working day of the New York Stock Exchange were more likely to cause a change in market sentiment, however, it was noted that the tweets can come at any time of day and thus have an effect on markets around the world. Key words in tweets include "China", "billion", "products", "Democrats", "great", "dollars", "tariffs" and "trade".

Alas!! I have lost my faith in the sanctity of financial markets, now on all my money under the mattress and behind the wall..

but can they make a profit on that analysis?

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle
    but can they make a profit on that analysis?
    If the whole market can make profit purely on his tweets for almost half a decade, why not a fund exclusively analysed on that?

@nivantj - here's some time wasting reading for you from 2008.

https://www.wired.com/2008/09/six-year-old-st/

nivantj likes this.

On that note, i always find it happens with SCMP, try to search some recent topic/news with time filter 'Within Day/Week/Month', it always spawns few years old article on top of search result.. Initially i thought it may be due to article's comments section updated recently and SCMP treating it as recently updated but then i checked and realized its impossible that every article has new comment on it.. Not sure if its SCMP or Google's doing but that made me always look at article date..