Like Tree16Likes

stocks like Link REIT

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Dividend growth is definitely my flavor of investing and I am seriously doubting if there are any Hong King listed dividend aristocrats. Are there?

And here I am doubtful about continuing to hold some REIT stocks that I bought a few years ago, given the current political crisis.

I'm not too worried about the political crisis - I think those HK REITs will sail into the authoritarian era in ok shape. There are Singapore REITs you could switch to instead, but they have also had quite a good run in the last few years.

And Link REIT in particular has had a bit more than "moderate capital growth" to go with the stable dividends...

Original Post Deleted
    In agreement with you, but how bad was December 2018?

Original Post Deleted
    Mostly comprising dividends or cap growth?

Also what platform are you using to buy Singapore listed stuff - Interactive Brokers?

SGP has a different trading setup as other country...custodian etc.etc... just go to one of the sgp security houses that are in hk.. like kimeng, uob kayhian or phillip securities..

Original Post Deleted
    nothing other than speculations. so far all the bankers i have spoken to, corporate bankers in hk, private bankers in singapore, etc.etc.. alot of people are speculating and speaking about it, some people are really opening accounts, but actual flow of capital out is minor..
    One number i have heard is, around USD16b of capital has flowed into Sg from hk.. which is very very very well within the margin of normal bau.. not even worth tracking.

and if we are talking about tourist flow... i am sure there are much fewer tourists from everywhere including singapore coming to hk, but are they flowing to singapore.. i doubt so...
    jrkob likes this.

Question on capital flows: when people speculate on how much money has moved from HK to Singapore in recent months, is a simple rebooking of portfolios from a bank's HK ledger to its Singapore ledger treated as a capital outflow for HK?

Example: if an investor holds a portfolio of HK listed securities with a bank and then instructs the bank to rebook them with the bank's Singapore office, are those securities included in the capital flow calculations? The shares are still listed in HK but held on through a Singapore entity/branch instead of a HK one.

The reason for asking is that, like a lot of people, I I'm hearing many stories of people taking about other people moving money out of HK but I'm also aware that at least some of the private banks have been helping clients rebook portfolios.

@traineeinvestor, yes i kind of think so.. i don't really know cos i am not in the ops department..
    i think there are a few means >>

- First is simply is to dump the HKD for other currencies.. this would be easy to detect as the aggregate balance would have reduced but it hasn't since very early this year

- Second is as you say, removing assets custodized with a hk bank and move it to a singapore bank.. This somewhat means moving of the assets, but again you don't really know where the banks custodize their assets. Eg. hk shares, end of the day are still likely custodized in HK and not moved around.

- Third, rebooking of money into a SG ledger.. Not sure how would it impact but i am sure if you still hold HKD, the daily excess deposits are still going to sit in HKMA's defecto current account..

If you ask me, the more meaningful way is to move is to sell HK assets and purchase non HK assets, which generally means properties.. not just shares/cash...

traineeinvestor likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    To answer your question the other way around. Yes, Singapore has some really good REITs - not link type, which is unique in structure and monopolistic in nature.. But yes the REITs in Sgp are wroth looking at.

Regardless of politics, some of Singaporean property shares the same issues as hk does.