Like Tree40Likes

What do you use to find undervalued stocks?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    How easy or difficult is this for:

- Non finance professionals
    - HK securities

Since you look at all of these factors, what services do you consider worth subscribing to, if you do not have access to Bloomberg, for setting up initial screening before you launch into deep dives?
    It's not easy I would say, full time professionals fail at beating the market.

My point is, either you do all that, or you might just as well invest in indices.

I have Bloomberg access, but its possible to do almost all of that with free services.
    rkenia852 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    actually, garbage in garbage out..
    That and random walks.. Was just curious to see if there was anything I was missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    For US stocks I look at which stocks Warren Buffett has bought in the past quarter.
    For HK stocks, people here buy whatever Li Ka Shing buys.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    For US stocks I look at which stocks Warren Buffett has bought in the past quarter.
    So brk.b

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    So brk.b
    Li Ka Shing gets compared with Buffet sometimes - but buying Berkshire has worked a lot better than buying Cheung Kong/Hutch. Li didn't list to make other people rich.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle:
    Li Ka Shing gets compared with Buffet sometimes - but buying Berkshire has worked a lot better than buying Cheung Kong/Hutch. Li didn't list to make other people rich.
    People sell whatever Li Ka Shing sells.

IMO there's no such thing as an "undervalued" publicly traded stock for the average investor - there's only punts. Everything's already been thought of and priced in.

shri and bdw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by foxwendal:
    IMO there's no such thing as an "undervalued" publicly traded stock for the average investor - there's only punts. Everything's already been thought of and priced in.
    The Efficient Market Hypothesis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effici...ket_hypothesis

The idea that markets are fully efficient was debunked some time ago. Justin Fox's book is an excellent history of financial markets theories and makes a pretty compelling case:

https://www.amazon.com/Myth-Rational.../dp/0060599030

two different things for me. whether markets are fully efficient is one thing. whether the average layman investor will be the one exploiting it in the event it wasn’t is another.

traineeinvestor, shri, bdw and 1 others like this.