Like Tree53Likes

2020 - Buying Property in HK

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

It's those analysts again

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge
    It's those analysts again
    "He wasn't right often, but he sure was often."

Max Gunther's comment on a famous forecaster is (IMHO) applicable to most of them Make enough predictions, and sooner or later you'll get a few right and be famous.
    nivantj and bbchris like this.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor
    "He wasn't right often, but he sure was often."

Max Gunther's comment on a famous forecaster is (IMHO) applicable to most of them Make enough predictions, and sooner or later you'll get a few right and be famous.
    I have been making only one prediction for last two years '2020 will give us 20/20 vision (sort of)', will i be counted as one of those!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nivantj
    I have been making only one prediction for last two years '2020 will give us 20/20 vision (sort of)', will i be counted as one of those!!!
    Only if my prediction that Christmas will be in December this year also counts.
    nivantj and bbchris like this.

The problem with buying that $14m apartment, assuming one has the necessary finance, is the 30% tax add-on for non HKID holders.

Quote Originally Posted by walkup
    The problem with buying that $14m apartment, assuming one has the necessary finance, is the 30% tax add-on for non HKID holders.
    Why anyone pays that 30% tax is utterly beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor
    Why anyone pays that 30% tax is utterly beyond me.
    The market was propelled forward by Mainlanders taking the position that the 30% tax would eventually be swallowed up by capital appreciation. And they were proven right. Whether it is prudent to do so now is another question.
    bbchris likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by walkup
    The market was propelled forward by Mainlanders taking the position that the 30% tax would eventually be swallowed up by capital appreciation. And they were proven right. Whether it is prudent to do so now is another question.
    That and/or just being willing to pay a steep price to get some money outside of the mainland. While the early movers were, as you say, justified by what the market's done over the last several years, I still think it was bad investment decision making.
    junichitsuyo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    We should be grateful that one small piece of positivity that has come out of the last 7 months of crap is that you can now safely buy property in HK and sleep comfortably knowing that you absolutely will make millions out it completely risk free, and stop paying rent at the same time.
    Is this meant to be sarcasm or are you genuinely trying to claim that loading up on obscene levels of debt in the city with the worlds most expensive property market AND such an uncertain future (due to various economic, political and social factors), is completely risk free?

Quote Originally Posted by nickvv
    Is this meant to be sarcasm or are you genuinely trying to claim that loading up on obscene levels of debt in the city with the worlds most expensive property market AND such an uncertain future (due to various economic, political and social factors), is completely risk free?
    Nothing is risk free, and neither is debt "obscene" if it can be managed. Low interest levels for over 10 years has been positive for those taking out mortgages.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast