Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By makeITcount
  • 1 Post By shri

2020 - Investment Reading

Closed Thread

Unhappy 2020 - Investment Reading

For those who are interested in casual financial reading this is a good one for the weekend.

https://www.credit-suisse.com/media/...19.pdf?noembed

Would love to get a copy of the full yearbook, unfortunately has a seriously restricted distribution.

We had a discussion earlier about the 80/20 rule and how it applies to stocks:

AsianXpat0 likes this.

Changed the title, as I found this gem and thought we'd be better off starting the year with a new thread related to current financial "long reads".

In my early days as an analyst, I covered all kinds of funds: convertibles funds, technology-specific funds, funds that invested exclusively in zero-coupon bonds. It was a great crash course in how various investment types work. But the more I've learned about investing, the more minimalist I've become. If an investment type can help investors get the job done simply, cheaply, and without a lot of moving parts or oversight, I'm all over it. That's why I increasingly recommend total market index funds, allocation funds, and target-date funds. (I like some well-diversified actively managed funds, too – and own them – but I'm super-picky.)
    and perhaps more importantly for some of us

On a panel at an investment conference, I referenced my personal situation as the adult child of two parents who struggled with cognitive decline toward the end of their lives. In so many ways, my parents had everything at the end of their lives: My sisters and I adored them and saw them often, they had enough money, and they stayed in their home until very close to the end. Yet I can sum up those last years in two words (forgive my language here): They sucked. We seemed to lurch from one crisis to the next; it was a physically and emotionally taxing experience for all of us. And it cost an arm and a leg.
    https://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/new...sons.aspx?ut=2

I feel non finance books have also helped me becoming a better investor,
    that includes books about athletes and their mind-set.
    You might want to read more diverse stuff

I read the “ the Man who solved the markets “ a fascinating account of how Jim Simons a code breaker , accomplished mathematician become the worlds most successful investor of all time with 60 % annual returns over the past 30 years with Renaissance which he founded as one of the first quant firms.
    just as interesting is the fact that he accomplished this by hiring exclusively non Wall Street finance folks. Later one his co CEO Robert Mercer become the man who bankrolled Nigel Farange Push for brexit through his stake in Cambridge Analytics as well we’ll ultimately helping to seat Donald trump into the White House. This book goes way beyond finance and is highly recommended since most of us might have never heard of Jim Simons but he blows the buffetts and Lynch’s out of the water.

https://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Solved-Market-Revolution/dp/073521798X

shri and Coolboy like this.