Like Tree7Likes

Corporate bonds - via Wisealpha platform

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by john_1122
    My apology, I thought you had advertised it a few times in the other thread, but actually you only mentioned it once. I posted this comment, in case the op didn't see it:

I would rather keep my LON:IEMB, with its 4.8% dividend.
    This one? iShares J.P. Morgan USD EM Bond UCITS ETF

Good returns for you so far I hope?

The only bond platform I've actually put money into this stage is CapitalRise, which is focused on small-ish UK property developments in upscale areas. All good so far - happy to share a referral link for that one if anyone is interested.

Yes, that one. I got a dividend of 4.8%, and have a slight profit ion the price since I bought it. It's slightly above average performance for the bonds I have. IEMB has 483 different bonds, mostly from countries, 55% of which investment grade. I think it's much safer than a sub-investment grade company that offers 1 or 2% more.

I don't trust very much websites. I considered buying properties through propertypartner.co. You can buy shares of properties, and you get a dividend based on the rent the tenants pay. You can sell the shares to others (if anybody wants to buy them). I think the idea is brilliant, but I was put off by the high fees. I checked the website again a few days ago, and according to reviews they have recently raised the fees, and people who own the shares can only sell them at a loss. Basically all those who comment on propertypartner.co say that they lost money, or made only very very little, or can't get back the money.

I would rather buy a 10 billion USD ETF managed by blackrock, than sending my money to a website that promises me 1% more by selling me bonds issued by a sub-investment grade company run off a basement in Basingstoke. But that's just me. To each its own. Peace.

Yes, that one. I got a dividend of 4.8%, and have a slight profit ion the price since I bought it. It's slightly above average performance for the bonds I have. IEMB has 483 different bonds, mostly from countries, 55% of which investment grade. I think it's much safer than a sub-investment grade company that offers 1 or 2% more.

I don't trust very much websites. I considered buying properties through propertypartner.co. You can buy shares of properties, and you get a dividend based on the rent the tenants pay. You can sell the shares to others (if anybody wants to buy them). I think the idea is brilliant, but I was put off by the high fees. I checked the website again a few days ago, and according to reviews they have recently raised the fees, and people who own the shares can only sell them at a loss. Basically all those who comment on propertypartner.co say that they lost money, or made only very very little, or can't get back the money.

I would rather buy a 10 billion USD ETF managed by blackrock, than sending my money to a website that promises me 1% more by selling me bonds issued by a sub-investment grade company run off a basement in Basingstoke. But that's just me. To each its own. Peace.
    It’s certainly wise to always bear in mind counterparty risks. High fees from your intermediary is one thing, but making off with your principal or a Lehman-like experience is another. Thanks for sharing.
    shri likes this.

Those are all fair comments - hence with Wisealpha for some of the long maturity bonds (e.g. mid to late 2020s) I would be reluctant to buy because you're potentially stuck with an illiquid investment and passage of time can ruin the fundamentals.

I've been more comfortable with the Capitalrise bonds because the maturities are usually no more than 1-2 years and the reviews are good, hence I've committed some money to those. That was also a play to put money into GBP at a 1.20 exchange rate and yielding 7-9% p.a. One of my investments redeemed early so I've got my 8% p.a. return and with the exchange rate appreciation that's another 8% gain right there.

As with anything else, DYOR.
    AsianXpat0 likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3