Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shafiq
  • 1 Post By Shooshi

Building Earmarked for Demolition

Reply
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wanchai
    Posts
    4,059

    Building Earmarked for Demolition

    I have a large commercial building near me clearly earmarked for demolition, the ground floor Circle K and Watsons have recently closed and been gutted and the higher floors have been empty for some time.

    Is there anyway I can find out what will be built there once it is pulled down? I assume plans are already in place.


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    I have a large commercial building near me clearly earmarked for demolition, the ground floor Circle K and Watsons have recently closed and been gutted and the higher floors have been empty for some time.

    Is there anyway I can find out what will be built there once it is pulled down? I assume plans are already in place.
    probably not specified in english, why not forward the exact address and we can google it

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wanchai
    Posts
    4,059

    IT appears to actually be two buildings.

    Tung Sun Commercial Centre and Tung Wah Mansion. 199 Hennessy Road.

    Not sure if it's owned by Tung Wah Hospital group. Not that it matters but it was a Mannings Plus not a watsons.


  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    29,113

    Yes, owned by Tung Wah Hospital group.

    I don't see this in their property development report for 2019.

    http://www.tungwah.org.hk/wp-content...Management.pdf


  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wanchai
    Posts
    4,059

    I wonder if they are going to renovate it rather than knock it down. Doubtful given the age.


  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    I wonder if they are going to renovate it rather than knock it down. Doubtful given the age.
    Page 21 has the information from building department. Says commercial building 1 storey 27 floors
    https://www.bd.gov.hk/doc/en/whats-n.../Md201909e.pdf
    TheBrit likes this.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wanchai
    Posts
    4,059
    Quote Originally Posted by shafiq
    Page 21 has the information from building department. Says commercial building 1 storey 27 floors
    https://www.bd.gov.hk/doc/en/whats-n.../Md201909e.pdf

    Page 17 but thanks for that.

    More offices then I guess.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    29,113

    Or may be more community space. Tung Wah is generally not an all out commercial outfit and do get a fair bit of income from renting to community organisations / medical / education etc.


  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,023

    From the wiki

    The Tung Wah Group of Hospitals (Chinese: 東華三院), with a history dating back to 1870, is the oldest and largest charitable organisation in Hong Kong. It provides extensive education and community services through 194 service centres spread across Hong Kong.
    Although Tung Wah Group of Hospitals is purely a charitable organisation today, it was originally an organisation that brought together the most influential Chinese magnates of Hong Kong in early colonial period. Tung Wah Group of Hospitals is also responsible for the management of Man Mo Temple, once an important cultural centre of colonial Hong Kong.


  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    7

    Tried to do a lease in this building months ago, they said only available for short term leases. Tung Wah explained that they were refurbishing as it was in urgent need of an upgrade. So likely no demolition.

    Trebor likes this.