Like Tree278Likes

Coronavirus and your Portfolio

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20

@mrgoodkat - I think at this point there are far too many moving parts to attempt any moves. At best, if you feel that you need to do something AND can lower the average price of your long term portfolio - dip in by a little bit.

nivantj and coffee_break like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    @mrgoodkat - I think at this point there are far too many moving parts to attempt any moves. At best, if you feel that you need to do something AND can lower the average price of your long term portfolio - dip in by a little bit.
    I was thinking about selling the gains my bonds have made since inception, or maybe just the YTD gain, and use that to buy the dip, then when stocks go up in the near future just switch it back. The magically question is when though . Today is probably not gonna be a good day to buy stocks.
    Last edited by mrgoodkat; 09-03-2020 at 03:35 PM.
    AsianXpat0 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    I was thinking about selling the gains my bonds have made since inception, or maybe just the YTD gain, and use that to buy the dip, then when stocks go up in the near future just switch it back. The magically question is when though . Today is probably not gonna be a good day to buy stocks.
    Portfolio rebalancing sounds supremely rational to me.
    kittykaitak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0
    Really wish I could draw.

3-panel cartoon.
    Panel 1 - (Top line - The virus starts) Sole man racing into a stock exchange holding onto his hat, shouting “Sell!”. Bemused pedestrians and bystanders with one or two turned heads looking at him sharing a single thought bubble ������ {Idiot}.
    Panel 2 - (Top line - The virus spreads) Sole man at cashier cage collecting bags of money. A few people looking at their newspapers, some staring at tv screens, many with exclamation points above their heads
    Panel 3 - General pandemonium as a large crowd rushes the cashiers and the man carrying canvas bags labelled $ with gold coins slipping out strolls out the stock exchange entrance stage right as people rush past and a few stragglers chase after the man with moneybags who now has a thought bubble ������ {Idiots}.

Wish I was that man (I’m not), but sure feels like panel 3 right now.

Benjamin Graham — 'In the short run, the market is a voting machine but in the long run, it is a weighing machine.

Or one of the times being a misanthrope can be a positive.

(Maybe people can also consider that when the market was calm and high it might have been the result of looking around at nobody else panicking and assuming there was no need to panic. Was a change in sentiment really not so predictable as the herd which likes to huddle together might still take comfort in thinking?)
    A bit like the smoke-filled room experiment... why isn't everyone reacting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hax6KJSaqkg
    AsianXpat0 likes this.

This article might spark some ideas..

US centric, but worth a casual read for all.

https://www.aaii.com/journal/article...cations-issued

Rate cut by BoE:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...erest-rate-cut

Quite a chunky one at that.

Apparently private jet sales are up significantly as the 1% doesn't want to fly with the riff-raff.

Not sure how long this will hold up as airlines start selling off unused stock and you can custom-fit a private 787 Dreamliner for a paltry 100 million.

Last edited by TigerSun; 12-03-2020 at 12:07 PM.
    Morrison likes this.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20