Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Morrison

Investing in Canadian companies - tax implications

Closed Thread

Investing in Canadian companies - tax implications

I have a question about investing in Canadian stocks, I've emailed my broker but this forum tends to be more reliable! Manulife also have an investors relations email in HK who I have contacted too.

Basically, what taxes do I need to pay on dividends and capital gains if I invest in Canadian companies here in HK.

I'm thinking of Manulife listed on HKEX specifically and Canadian companies listed on the NYSE generally.

I read through the Canada HK tax treaty doc, and gathered that dividends are subject to 15% withholding tax (but thought Manulife might be an exception), but I couldn't grasp the rules on capital gains at all.

Capital gains are taxed by the country
    you live in ( or in your case the financial jurisdiction you live in ). HK does not tax capital gains from stock trades. You don’t even need to report it.

To get the 15% treaty rate you probably need to submit a form to your broker

Thanks for responding. I see from another poster here they paid 25% tax on Manulife shares bought in HK. Makes them much less attractive unfortunately.

he prob did not claim the treaty rate

Kowloon72 likes this.