Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rob86craig

Investing in DBS

Investing in DBS

I am keen to invest in the Development Bank of Singapore since my brokerage recently added SG stocks, but have been dithering over how much I'd lose on the currency exchange. I later noticed that they also trade in USD "over the counter" on the OTC market. This sounded promising at first, but they actually trade on the pink sheets, and not the OTCQX which is regulated to a higher standard. After some time on investopedia I see that it could be that they are being traded on the pink sheets without their consent (i.e. another institution buys their shares and sells them on).

Does anyone have any further info on this? Based on the numbers on Bloomberg the shares appear to be fully fungible. It would be a long term investment, so the lack of liquidity wouldn't be massive problem buying OTC, but I'd rather avoid it if it was "dodgy". They are available as both ARDs and ordinary shares on the pink sheets.

Would you be subject to a 30% WHT on dividends if you hold through a US based instrument?

Another good question. In my experience in HK brokerages usually deduct first and check later. My guess is that they will deduct then refund.

I emailed DBS investor relations about the legitimacy of the pink OTC shares, hopefully that will provide more clarity. Will share here if and when they respond.

shri likes this.