Like Tree11Likes

2020 - Mortgage Cashback from Banks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    My local mate has been getting a cheque 5 times over the last 10 years (1%-2% each time) for doing nothing, simply extending the lock in period of his mortgage with the bank.

In my case, I just did the a quick math and I actually got 5% cashback last year (I had a $3m outstanding mortgage and got $152,500 cashback). The way I did this was to redo the mortage from scratch, but still stayed with the same bank (SC), had to pay $5k-10k for a solicitor, I redrew up to $7m (50% of my property current value), but then the extra $4m I redraw can deposit straight back onto the loan once done so still end up with a $3m mortgage in the end. So effectively 5% cashback on a $3m mortgage . Having to visit a solicitor and do all that shit was a pain but definitely worth it to get $152k cash back.

That's pretty impressive. If I've read that right your cash back is about what the interest component on your resulting mortgage payments would be over a two year period which means you've effectively got about two years interest free finance.

Does anyone have any recent experience with DBS cash back deals?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    There was a thread about this last year, they stopped doing 2% and last I had checked around October it was closer to 1.5%. Maybe it's dropped lower since then. Off memory bdw managed to sneak in just before the initial drop.
    I also was able to remortgage last year before they dropped the cashback amounts down from 2% to closer to 1%. However wasn't aware about the lock ins which would also give you extra cashback. Anyway lets see next year what I can do when my 2 year lock in ends.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    but then the extra $4m I redraw can deposit straight back onto the loan once done so still end up with a $3m mortgage in the end.
    You mean keep $4m in mortgage-linked savings account or straight away partial repayment of mortgage without any handling fee and/or penalty!! If its later then its a big loophole and SC are bunch of morons, all existing property owners with property value increased by whatever percent could simply get 4-5 years worth of interest payment as cashback by simply drawing highest amount and pay back immediately!!!

I don't think you can just turn around and repay the loan with the additional borrowings. I think @bdw might be referring to putting the cash into the mortgage offset account, which has the same effect.

Crap, I wish I'd thought if this, even though I suspect you're not supposed to do this.

shri and bdw like this.

bdw

Sorry guys, yes to clarify I meant to dump the money into a mortgage offset account rather than repay the mortgage. So I increased my mortgage from $3m to $7m, got 2.1% cashback on $7m, then can put $3.5million back into an offset account which earns interest at the same rate as the mortgage, therefore has the same effect as reducing my mortgage back down to $3.5m.

Incidentally I think the offset account is BETTER than paying off your mortgage, same effect but leaves you with some flexibility to redraw, invest it somewhere else, buy a car, or do whatever you want with it .

@nivantj - I still think SC are a bunch of morons, and there is some fumdamental flaw in the system, but anyway might as well take advantage of it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3