Like Tree50Likes

Will HK house prices come down?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by john_1122:
    I sold my flat last April, before the protests started, because I was planning to leave this police state. Now I am thinking of staying
    interested to understand that change of direction. I don’t think the a police state has lessened and I would be surprised to see the protests ramp up again eventually, certainly nothing in government suggests the future is likely to improve.
    Mrs. Jones and Jackie1 like this.

In this thread: people on both the rent and sell side trying to justify their decision. You won't find any sensible answer to your question, just do what works with your current stage in life.

pin, shri and spode like this.

You need transactions to set the market prices.
    People are not buying at the moment so the real market price is not being established.
    Housing is illiquid.

You'll know prices are really falling when they get rid of the foreigner tax on houses

Jackie1 likes this.

If this virus takes off and culls the elderly then there will be a glut of probate sales worldwide and prices will fall everywhere.

East_coast, mrgoodkat and Jackie1 like this.

Of course....just wait it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary 2:
    If this virus takes off and culls the elderly then there will be a glut of probate sales worldwide and prices will fall everywhere.
    If that will finally get millennials to shut up about affordable housing I'm all for it
    hongkong7 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    @ Pauljoecoe We were planning to migrate to a non-English speaking country. But my wife doesn't really like it, doesn't want to learn a new language, and frankly speaking I don't want to spend the rest of my life translating everything for her.

So we are looking for an English-speaking country to migrate to, but I am too old to get a visa in Australia, and to find a job in New Zealand and Canada. So I figured out I can work for another 5-6 years in this police state, and then hopefully I will have enough money to retire in one of those countries.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    You'll know prices are really falling when they get rid of the foreigner tax on houses
    Quite likely, but if/when this happens the government would likely remove the double stamp duty for additional purchases by HK residents before it removing the double stamp duty for non-HK residents.
    jrkob, Kiz and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    $1.2MM after discount, if I read it correctly, and that's presumably for some pimped out penthouse. Even if it overlooks a rubbish dump.
    I checked the price list. There's a low floor, 479sq ft net unit, which is around HKD6.75m after all discounts (USD865k). Think that's decent when you compare the current cost of land.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast