Like Tree14Likes

Commission to real estate agent--how much do they actually earn?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I paid 0.45% and 0.5% commission on two property deals in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by big_panda:
    I paid 0.45% and 0.5% commission on two property deals in 2017.
    Wow congrats on your negotiation skills. I've never heard of 0.45% for a second-hand property. I got 0.5% on buying a property because I paid the same agent 0.8% for selling my other property, and maybe the buyer of my property and the seller of the property I bought paid him 1% (one guy was the agent for all us), so he still made some good money (not sure how much he had to give to his agency though).

Now if you buy a first hand-property and the developer gives the agent 1-3% I've heard you can try to ask for half or more of that commission the developer gives to your agent.

Quote Originally Posted by simpsjk:
    I do my homework before purchase; it is not on major haunted house websites (I could not find on any; even news articles)
    I even asked asked my lawyer to check whether anyone died, but he said he is unable to do so without signing the Preliminary sales and purchase agreement (he does not have the right to look into it).

No, (purchase price - perceived loss) > bank valuation.
    But this does not mean perceived loss = 0.

The thing is Given that someone has died inside the flat it will affect future resale ability and potentially price as a result, in Hong Kong...
    There is a simple way to know without a lot of research. Ask the agent or current owner whether there were any unnatural death. They are legally bounded to answer that whether it affects them adversely or not. If they weren't honest or lied, you can sue them.

Quote Originally Posted by loganhair:
    Wow congrats on your negotiation skills. I've never heard of 0.45% for a second-hand property.
    Agent for 0.45 selling 7.5m property was Centaline. Agent for 0.5 buying 18m was a local firm. The way they see it, is either they get a bird in the hand, or another agent is going to land it.
    LoganH likes this.

A death inside an apartment unless it’s a death by suicide or murder does not have much impact on the resale price. No one expects to live forever and if you are in an older building it’s to be expected particularly as dozens of families have come and gone through it. Furthermore what an agent earns in commission has no bearing on your case. There is a website that tells potential buyers/renters whether a property has been the scene of a murder, a suicide or any kind of death not by natural causes. I mean if grandma is hanging clothes out to dry, leans too far out and ends up splattered on the ground floor of her building, that is hardly death by natural causes.