Like Tree95Likes

Is the peg safe?

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14

On the passport point, I think it was around 2009-10 when the rules changed and govt said that US people will need passport to travel to Bahamas, Mexico, Canada, Bermuda. Previously these places allowed US tourists on other docs (driver's license, birth certs etc.)

That drove up passport applications coz all of a sudden the spring break travelers couldn't go to Mexico

What % of Hk people have passports?

Can we stay on topic, please. I'm not interested in some argument about which country / region / territory has the best / worst people.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    Can we stay on topic, please. I'm not interested in some argument about which country / region / territory has the best / worst people.
    The peg is safe.

The massive amount in the exchange fund has already been mentioned, so I'd say good luck to anyone challenging the peg.

Name:  Screenshot_2020-07-10-17-51-22-671_com.amazon.kindle.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  348.5 KB

If you have way too much time you can check out https://www.hkma.gov.hk/eng/key-func...-publications/

Or "the total assets of the Exchange Fund amounted to HK$4,081.9 billion as at 31 May 2020" https://www.hkma.gov.hk/eng/news-and...06/20200630-3/

MandM! likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganH:
    This is off topic from the peg, but I remember you could also go to Mexico with just a birth certificate (I was a young kid without a driver's license). My parents I believe used their driver's licenses to go to Mexico because they didn't get their first passports till many years later. I think I got a U.S. passport before my parents did when I was a teenager.

Many people think the U.S. is enough for them. At least the U.S. citizens that want to go to Canada and/or Mexico or go another country, need to get a U.S. passport.
    technically and it's a more specific use case, there is a US passport card too that can be used for Mexico Canada etc. It's also a cheaper option for those residents of US states that have state IDs that are not REAL ID compliant.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14