Like Tree101Likes

Is the peg safe?

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Is the peg safe?

What do you reckon? I can see a lot of fear in Hong Kong right now. Apparently the US will introduce some sanctions very soon. Is the peg safe? Can the HK government afford to defend it?

hannah01 likes this.

The government can definitely afford to defend it. Any break would be a political decision, and with the enormous disruption that would cause I very much doubt it is on the agenda.

traineeinvestor and Coolboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by john_1122:
    What do you reckon? I can see a lot of fear in Hong Kong right now. Apparently the US will introduce some sanctions very soon. Is the peg safe? Can the HK government afford to defend it?
    It is safe. Unless HKMA is lying to us about how much USD is in the foreign currency reserve (some speculate that China is eyeing to take them but I don't see how) the peg should be stable.
    traineeinvestor likes this.

thought it was "is the pig safe"

rkenia852 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadashi:
    thought it was "is the pig safe"
    In China?

Not likely!
    rkenia852 and misshappy26 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxmyass:
    It is safe. Unless HKMA is lying to us about how much USD is in the foreign currency reserve (some speculate that China is eyeing to take them but I don't see how) the peg should be stable.
    Taxmyass commenting on whether the peg is safe.

The peg should be safe but still converted a large chunk of my HKD to USD this morning.

Even if HK's reserves proved inadequate, betting against the HKD is also a punt on China standing aside and allowing the peg to break.

the cost of betting now for a 1 year wager is at around 0.07 HKD, i.e. you long HKD at 7.82, so close to 1%, slightly higher than borrowing it at 1.2% and shorting it for USD yield of 0.3%...

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoadAhead:
    The peg should be safe but still converted a large chunk of my HKD to USD this morning.
    I like people who stand behind their opinion. :-)
    Mr Chips, rkenia852 and aw451 like this.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast