Like Tree5Likes

Best US stock broker, non US citizen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    SoFi will provide a better English experience but has only basic market data compared with Futu.
    A question from the wife who has a Sofi account - how does she turn HKD into USD on the platform in order to buy US securities? Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    A question from the wife who has a Sofi account - how does she turn HKD into USD on the platform in order to buy US securities? Thanks!!
    There is a feature in the app (from the profile) to exchange currency... Or she just buy US securities, and they'll do the conversion automatically for you.

The tricky bit here is, you don't know the exchange rate. Even if, on the currency conversion screen, they display a rate, it's "indicative".
    I asked support, and they told me that - to know the rate for the day - I have to call their office in the morning after 930am and ask.
    GentleGeorge likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    There is a feature in the app (from the profile) to exchange currency... Or she just buy US securities, and they'll do the conversion automatically for you.

The tricky bit here is, you don't know the exchange rate. Even if, on the currency conversion screen, they display a rate, it's "indicative".
    I asked support, and they told me that - to know the rate for the day - I have to call their office in the morning after 930am and ask.
    What I do is i convert my HKD to USD using my multi-currency HSBC account, so I know the exchange rate. Then transfer the USD to SoFi's USD account.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzdang:
    What I do is i convert my HKD to USD using my multi-currency HSBC account, so I know the exchange rate. Then transfer the USD to SoFi's USD account.
    You should consider switching a nominal amount like usd 50-100 at SoFi and see what exchange rate you get before you commit to HSBC. HSBC tends to have a bad rate compared to other banks and even IB etc..

Worth taking a look if you are converting larger amounts.
    muzzdang likes this.

Are there any low or zero commission brokers for US stocks that allow for pre market and after market trading?

Quote Originally Posted by muzzdang:
    I am using firsttrade.com, which is pretty good and meets your requirements
    Does Firsttrade allow for pre and after market selling? Also do they offer stop loss orders?

Quote Originally Posted by Cminds:
    Are there any low or zero commission brokers for US stocks that allow for pre market and after market trading?
    I know I used my US Schwab brokerage account to buy a few shares of VTI after market with a limit order. Schwab didn't charge me any fees for submitting my limit orders (only one went through) and also didn't charge me any fees for processing my order.

In any case it's best to check with a brokerage directly.
    Cminds likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2