Like Tree34Likes

Vanguard to end presence in Hong Kong, Japan with job cuts

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Hi folks,

I use HSBC (compliance reasons) and plan to sell my 3140. When I bought I did some at mkt order and got screwed on the price. Super illiquid.

when I sell, should I do it all in one go at limit? Is it fill or kill on hsbc?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Fatpigkenny:
    Hi folks,

I use HSBC (compliance reasons) and plan to sell my 3140. When I bought I did some at mkt order and got screwed on the price. Super illiquid.

when I sell, should I do it all in one go at limit? Is it fill or kill on hsbc?

Cheers
    IIRC, they have changed the rules on ETFs in HK to narrow the bid-ask spread. So you shouldn't get as hard hit this time.

The current Bid is 23.64 and the current ask is 23.68. You should be able to input a limit price sell order for your entire amount of even lots at 23.64. Any remaining shares will be a market order, not sure how they'll be processed and at which price. But the lots are small, just 100, so absolute worse case scenario you'll only be selling 99 shares at market price.

I have a certain amount of money in four of the HK Vanguard ETFs (3140, 3101, 2805, + 3126) in my Interactive Brokers account. Was hoping to hold on to these for the long term (say another 10-15 years). What exactly should I expect to happen when Vanguard vacates HK and closes down these ETFs? Will the money I have invested in these ETFs simply be liquidated and be held in my IB account as cash?

Will the money I have invested in these ETFs simply be liquidated and be held in my IB account as cash?
    I think so - but the other possibility is that someone else will take over the ETFs - they didn't exclude that possibility in the announcement.
    DavidHKUK likes this.

Thanks. Yes, saw that too. That would certainly be my preference. The whole point of ETFs, as far as I'm concerned, is to hold on to them for the long term. Unfortunately there are not many good options in HK when it comes to maintaining a do-it-yourself, long-term, low-fee, well-diversified portfolio in HKD!

Kronosoma87 and tiffanykeepup like this.

Some thing going on here - a week or so they exited their role as asset manager of sorts (not sure what it was to be honest) to some big SOEs - several billion USD worth of assets.

https://twitter.com/echohuang...00583146029057

https://twitter.com/echohuang...00586023374848

Understand Ant is looking at setting up a roboadvisor as well, which is separate from its Vanguard JV.

There might be some issues with ant jv as well...

https://twitter.com/Rover829/status/...854424064?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesteak:
    I don’t think Vanguard’s exit is that confusing or surprising . Their ETF operation in HK never really took off . Their business model depends on scale which they couldn’t capture.
    I believe Vanguard have been diversifying into wealth management and it’s likely they see this as a bigger growth market for China. Just a guess though .
    To an extent agree, but there are already other players stepping in as has mentioned. These are quite focused on China ETFs which seem to be what is popular here.

Also don't forget ishares, it has launched several new ETFs in HK recently with decent fees.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast