Like Tree19Likes

New ibonds to be launched

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Applied $100K got $40K - not too bad

If I've read the HKMA press release correctly, every valid application should have got an allocation:

1. those who applied for 3 or fewer units (of $10,000 each) got what they applied for

2. those who applied for 4 or more units got either 3 units or 4 units (with most getting 4 units)

As with previous iBond issues, there was not point in throwing the kitchen sink at it.

AsianXpat0 likes this.

Indeed, what I found interesting was the many with more money than sense or alternatives (with apologies to the more flush members of our forum).

On average, those applying for 4 or more lots put in HKD125k. An earlier SCMP article mentioned the enthusiastic response quoting ICBC bank clients putting in applications on average of HKD200k...

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    Indeed, what I found interesting was the many with more money than sense or alternatives (with apologies to the more flush members of our forum).

On average, those applying for 4 or more lots put in HKD125k. An earlier SCMP article mentioned the enthusiastic response quoting ICBC bank clients putting in applications on average of HKD200k...
    Actually, I kind of get people putting in large applications. I suspect a few people were hoping that with all the attention and money the Ant IPO was getting, they might get a decent allocation. Also, with bank interest rates close enough to zero as makes no difference, and banks waving all application fees, there really was very little opportunity cost in throwing whatever spare cash you had at this one.

Quote Originally Posted by dfc:
    Shouldn't everyone have got up to $30k, some get $40k?
    Yes. According to the HKMA every value application received an allotment.
    dfc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    Actually, I kind of get people putting in large applications. I suspect a few people were hoping that with all the attention and money the Ant IPO was getting, they might get a decent allocation. Also, with bank interest rates close enough to zero as makes no difference, and banks waving all application fees, there really was very little opportunity cost in throwing whatever spare cash you had at this one.
    I’ll admit I underestimated what was eventually available to each applicant, and what you say about the limited opportunity cost makes complete sense, although given the number of other new applicants I ran into when trying to apply (and the 2% coupon/CPI adjustment), it did and does still feel like >100k might be anticipated as overkill. Congrats to all those getting 4 lots though.
    traineeinvestor likes this.

$40k - applied 60 expected 20

AsianXpat0 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4