Can move equity shares from HSBC (HK) to HSBC S'pore, easily?

Closed Thread

Can move equity shares from HSBC (HK) to HSBC S'pore, easily?

Hope the title tells it all but, in a nutshell: now have some USA and HK stocks held at BOOM HK. Will be moving all $$ etc from HSBC HK to HSBC S'pore and departing HK.
    May be able to move the shares from BOOM directly to HSBC S'pore but if not can surely move from BOOM to local HSBC, then later to S'pore.

I'm not now in HK so cannot easily contact bank there for more info.

Thanks for the help.

Well, as above really, you'll need to contact the broker and banks directly.

I expect it will be a massive ball ache. If you happen to have enough cash+margin with HSBC SG to cover some (or all) of those securities, I'd be tempted to buy in SG and sell in HK at the same time to avoid any opportunity cost, then transfer the cash from the sale over.

Technically possible to move from BOOM to both HSBC HK and SG but this is NOT something you want to DIY.

Do you have an RM you can email / coordinate with?

Took 2 or 3 attempts to get things right between HSBC and another bank while moving HK / US stocks - the process seems to be fairly manual at HSBC compared to to some of the newer brokers / banks.

Thnx Shri for the info, but i checked RM and found 140 possible meanings. Of course i know you didn't mean Rapper Monster but maybe Resource Manager?

https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/RM

And NO, i do not have a giant red dial phone at my house.

"Relationship Manager".... Assumed you'd have one, since you're dealing with both HSBC HK and SG.

If you don't have one then I suggest you get yourself to a larger branch - say HSBC Central if possible and ask to speak to someone about this at a counter and get them to help you do the paperwork to transfer to HSBC HK.

Moving shares never easy as is. Doing multiple times across two banks/brokers and over borders, while not physically in HK to sort docs at the branch seems highly ambitious. I agree with Kowloon72 in considering how much you're actually saving by transferring in kind and whether it may be better off just selling down and rebuying in SG. Assuming the option to do it while overseas is even available (which prob involves snailmail if so, knowing HSBC)

Ah, missed the Boom to HSBC SG directly part. Don't know Boom but that seems it may be more possible from overseas. I definitely wouldn't consider it though if you're putting HSBC HK in as a conduit.