Like Tree68Likes

Anybody still got confidence left in china stocks....

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

I also see Charlie bought loads of Wells Fargo Bank. Sure, i did too, months ago, at $29! But not quite as many shares as Charlie. LOL.

Today, at closing Thursday NYC, i note that BABA is UP 8%. So maybe Charlie is onto something. I'll remain a watcher.

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    Today, at closing Thursday NYC, i note that BABA is UP 8%. So maybe Charlie is onto something. I'll remain a watcher.
    I suspect that Munger is in this for the 10 year+ cycle. Besides these are small sums for him in terms of his entire portfolio. Most people looki g at these transactions (multi millions) are forgetting it is a part of a multi billion portfolio.

Just like everyone who freaks or jumps in excitement when Woods increases or decreases a few holdings by a few million.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Besides these are small sums for him in terms of his entire portfolio. Most people looking at these transactions (multi millions) are forgetting it is a part of a multi billion portfolio.
    While this is true in the larger context, the Daily Journal portfolio is the only one publicly managed by Munger (from what I can tell). Having observed how he operates, I would like to think he has only Daily Journal shareholders in mind, so would not be managing the money in a half-assed way. It's probably valid to consider these investment decisions in isolation.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Having observed how he operates, I would like to think he has only Daily Journal shareholders in mind, so would not be managing the money in a half-assed way. It's probably valid to consider these investment decisions in isolation.

In some sense I agree.. Don't get me wrong the buffet and munger pair are geniuses at what they do... But I don't think people should be chasing the baba stock because of Munger.

Unless he comes out and serenades the Chinese people like Buffet did in 2009.
    needgoodwine likes this.

The trades by Chinese executives have been little noticed because they are held to different reporting rules by the US Securities and Exchange Commission, which insists that US executives have to report share sales within two days. In Hong Kong, directors have three days to report, while executives of companies listed in mainland China must give 15 days’ notice before they can sell. By contrast, executives at foreign companies listed in the US instead tend to report their total shareholding once or twice a year, or not at all, depending on the size of their stakes.

Companies including the online shopping giant Alibaba have used their US listings to gain exemptions in Hong Kong, arguing that any additional disclosure is “unduly burdensome” on its “corporate insiders”.
    https://www.ft.com/content/41ec575f-...4-fe66566a8c5c
    shri likes this.

Today's gem... from a former mayor...

Platforms possessing tons of user information should give back 20%-30% of their revenue obtained through data to society, said former Chongqing Mayor Huang Qifan at the annual Bund Summit.
    CN Mulls Slapping Data Tax on Internet Giants: Report AASTOCKS Financial News - Popular News

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Today's gem... from a former mayor...
    At least he's aiming big...

https://www.theregister.com/2021/11/..._fines_for_43/

Tencent must get approval from Chinese regulators to send out updates for its apps, state broadcaster CCTV reported Wednesday.

The move comes after regulators found several apps made by China’s most valuable technology company violated data protection rules on a number of occasions this year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/25/tenc...-new-apps.html

A bad thing

"We don’t think that delisting of Chinese firms from the US market is a good thing either for the companies, for global investors or Chinese-US relations," Shen Bing, director general of the China Securities Regulatory Commission's department of international affairs, told a conference in Hong Kong.
    https://www.reuters.com/world/china/...ms-2021-11-25/

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast