Like Tree34Likes

Expat starting investing

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

OK none of us are being very helpful here.
    @LetsDiscuss

To summarise - your options are:
    - invest in Unit Trusts. These are a rip off in Hong Kong with high sales charges and management fees.
    - invest in Flexinvest by HSBC. These are good value as long as you have less than HK$10k invested. After that they have monthly platform fees that really add up.
    - Invest in ETFs via the Hong Kong stock market. Choice is limited and there are high bid/ask spreads. But they're cheaper than unit trusts. Code 3019.hk is fairly well diversified.
    - Open a brokerage to invest in ETFs listed abroad. That's more convoluted and maybe more for somone who is not just starting investing.

- Open a brokerage to invest in ETFs listed abroad. That's more convoluted and maybe more for somone who is not just starting investing.
    TO add to this - it is fairly easy to open one up at your bank. As a beginer say no to leverage / margin accounts etc.

A few days and you'll be able to buy US listed ETFs - my personal preference is AOA if you have a long horizon window and this is your first investment, VT and other ones like VTI etc stand out as recommendations.
    greenmark likes this.

If you're not sure what you're doing buy the tracker fund

Or a selection of blue chips: great opportunity in Tencent, Alibaba now. Also Chinese pharma

Quote Originally Posted by mgi:
    Or a selection of blue chips: great opportunity in Tencent, Alibaba now. Also Chinese pharma
    What kind of Chinese phama companies do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by mgi:
    As someone's first investment? Balls of steel man ... I hope they have balls of steel.

Might as well throw in GME and AMC for global diversification.

I still stick with the whole "best to have a very broad core before you pick stocks". But hey .. whatever works, works...

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    OK none of us are being very helpful here.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    Code 3019.hk is fairly well diversified.
    Do you mean Xtrackers MSC World Swap UCITS ETF ? I got this name in FUTU app. Is this like mutual fund ?

@LetsDiscuss check out this radio programme that explains the power of index funds:
    https://www.npr.org/2021/07/29/10224...-funds-the-bet

Here are the four basics you can invest in:
    https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/investment-options

I just started with their "socially conscious" ETFs:
    https://investor.vanguard.com/investing/esg/

Quote Originally Posted by LetsDiscuss:
    Thanks

Do you mean Xtrackers MSCI World Swap UCITS ETF ? I got this name in FUTU app. Is this like mutual fund ?
    Yes, it similar to a mutual fund.

It would provide a similar return to a mutual fund that invested in the world's largest 1500 companies.

There are few technical differences because it is an ETFs and not a mutual fund, it is an index fund and not a managed fund, and it is synthetic and not physical. But at the end of the day it essentially does the same thing as a mutual fund. It effectively invests in a diverse set of large cap companies.
    shri and LetsDiscuss like this.

1 - App for trading with less brokerage fess and can trust with ?

1) Etoro - 1mil EUR capital insurance, fractional shares (might be good for a beginner), many markets but can't buy HK listed with a HK registered account
    2) TD Ameritrade - 500k USD insurance, only US market though, no fractional shares
    3) Interactive Brokers HONG KONG - 500k HKD insurance for HK, Shenzen and Shanghai listed shares, but NO insurance for US listed stocks (wtf?), fractional shares, huge selection of markets

All 3 have no fees as far as I know. I'm with Etoro (only short and leveraged positions are CFDs) and opened another account with TD. If IBHK can just sort out their insurance then I will open an account with them.

2 - Any suggestion about which stocks or mutual funds I can buy to start ?

As a beginner just buy a S&P500 or world ETF. I am a fan of Vanguard as they have the lowest fees so I would say go for VOO or VT.

3 - Should I buy HK stocks or US stocks ?

US in my opinion, except for a few Chinese stocks. But if you have to ask that question then you are better off starting with only ETFs, not stocks. Assuming you are still young I would rather focus on growth instead of dividend yielding, so I wouldn't care much about the 30% withholding tax.

But I'm just a random guy on the internet and this is not financial advice.
    shri, LetsDiscuss and Lucky 21 like this.

What thing gonna 20x?!!