Like Tree12Likes

Not for Old People - Hang Seng Gen Z Index ...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Not for Old People - Hang Seng Gen Z Index ...

Randomly clicked on a HSI Co notification to a new index called "Gen Z something"...

I don't see any real HK companies in this index.. and barely recognise 10-15 of the current constituents.

Have seen several other portfolio ideas which cater to Gen Z audiences.. but this one has me going "I'm too old to deal with something or the other"...

Name:  Screenshot 2021-08-23 at 1.55.05 PM.png
Views: 357
Size:  26.7 KB

https://www.hsi.com.hk/eng/indexes/all-indexes/hssshgz

jgl, Fatpigkenny and ycchai like this.

Given the chart, I doubt any member of Gen Z will be buying the index fund that tracks this index. That's if they can afford it in the first place.

wumao777 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by needgoodwine:
    Given the chart, I doubt any member of Gen Z will be buying the index fund that tracks this index. That's if they can afford it in the first place.
    It is for boomers to buy so that they can continue to milk the younger kids.

I wasn't aware there were HSI constituents that sold laundry pods.

shri likes this.

I didn't know they have weird stuff like this. mix of IT, new economy and industrials. Not sure what this index represents but some of the popular big brands in the PRC, so is this like a repackaged PRC index?

HS employee 1: "We need to make a new index to make our role relevant"
    HS employee 2: "Let's just think of all the popular names among Chinese companies and make an index!"
    HS employee 1: "But it would not make sense on how to categorize them"
    HS employee 2: "Lets just give them a fancy name so no one will question, put in all PRC companies so the exposure its the same as other PRC index"

wumao777 likes this.

@ycchai - sort of nailed it. At the moment end of the day it depends on who takes these indices seriously enough to license them.

Besides they need to throw in Shenzhen and Shanghai connects to ensure that there is adequate wealth transfer...

Conversation continues..
    HS employee 1:- Hows the progress of HSI reaching 80 by next year
    HS employee 2:- We are trying very hard but cant find suitable companies to include in index
    Hs employee 1:- But great motherland is producing conglomerates to unicorns faster than second child.
    HS employee 2:- Yes but most of them are basket case, cant find 5 worthy enough for HSI..
    Hs employee 1:- Doesn't matter, make it 80 by next year anyhow, our next target is to copy Nasdaq 100 by 2023.. Be innovative and start planning for first copy, second copy and so on..

We still maintain the target to reach 80 constituent stocks by mid next year. But … we may not always be able to reach the target if we cannot find the right stocks to add to the index,” Daniel Wong, director and head of research and analytics at the Hang Seng Indexes Company

https://www.scmp.com/business/bankin...gtype=homepage
    ycchai and wumao777 like this.

Still trying to figure out what comes after Generation Z? Do we loop back around to Generation A or is there a plan B?

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    Still trying to figure out what comes after Generation Z? Do we loop back around to Generation A or is there a plan B?
    You are obviously optimistic about the human race surviving 202x...
    Sith likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    Who are now Gen A/B/C etc…? I actually only know X/Y/Z.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast