Like Tree20Likes

Need suggestions on VTI & VEU alternatives that are Ireland domiciled & accumulating

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    Is there liquidity risk with VWRA?

Lol one extra word 'Risk' changes the meaning of it, anyway what i meant was liquidity might get paltry for many of these ETFs during volatile market which in turn increase the cost of spread and investor might need to pay that extra cost in case there is a need to liquidate it during such time..
    But won't that also affect VT in the same vein?

Also as a buy and hold investor, you shouldn't really be selling. Only time to sell is part of your withdrawal at retirement. So buy / sell risk isn't so much of an issue.

Bottom line, KISS and VWRA.

Getting into US stocks, worrying about WHT and Estate Duty (and not to mention extra form filing).
    Mapleleafgirl likes this.

In theory, yes but then again VT's daily volume is 50 times or more than VWRA so higher chances of lower spread than VWRA..

Again in theory, yes buy and hold should never sell but in reality starter portfoilo might need to liquidate part of it for whatever other financial needs than established one..

Estate duty defintely agree on but again generally more important question for someone with larger portfolio and higher risk of helath risk than younger investor with supposedly smaller portfolio..

Then again i am confusing OP with our usual academic feckery so lets leave it to other occasion..

Mapleleafgirl likes this.

@shri, @pin, @Sith, @ndt,

OMG you guys are so great!! Even though some of the responses got a bit more more advanced than my ETF amateur brain right now, I appreciate you guys pointing them out. Definitely food for thought for me

Thanks again!!! You guys are AWESOME!

Sith likes this.

shri and Mapleleafgirl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:

Honestly unless you are American I would strongly recommend staying away from most US ETFs taking int account the WHT and the Estate Duty risk.
    I agree with this.

I wouldn't usually disagree with Shri as he's often spot on, and might still be, but IMO the estate tax threshold is too low and might result in you leaving loved ones with both a big tax bill and a bigger headache if you had a sudden death.

Daily volumes and spread. AUM is just fine ...

@Kowloon72 - we've been discussing Estate Tax risk mitigation on and off over beers. Drop me a PM if you want to contribute. (It is way beyond the scope of a forum discussion..)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2