Like Tree38Likes

100k to invest

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

100k to invest

I'm completely new to investing but want to get started. I've gone over the other threads and looked at book reccos. I'm wondering if anyone has any specific advice as I have an amount I will invest (or not if there are alternatives!) of HK$100K which I can play about with and am comfortable losing (obviously don't want to, but this us a bit of bonus cash, so all good if it goes poof). My mate has bitcoin and bangs on about going all in on it, whereas another mate says I only have a small amount and have missed the boat, so better to just stick it in a tracker fund. What do you guys reckon?

He bangs about something that dropped over one third in value in 2 months? I would agree with your other mate, you completely missed that bubble and it’s too late - just stick it in long-term in a broad equity index. You could just buy a world index ETF and forget about it.

I'd split the funds into 2 or 3 installments and buy every month over the next quarter. And then add a little bit every quarter if funds are available.

Some of the folks here recommend a US S&P 500 tracker, which might be riskier .. some stick to world index fund.

Don't over complicate your first investment. The key is to get in and stay in for as long as you can.

@Hkemail888 He thinks it is only at a fraction of what it will be - 'to the moon' is his favourite saying!

Hkemail888 likes this.

@shri Yeah, this is like something I am more inclined to do. Seems the best bet.

Have you seen the Mark 6? Just go nuts with it. As Homer said - with so many tickets, there's no way you can lose!

ycchai, shri, chuckster007 and 3 others like this.

I have an amount I will invest (or not if there are alternatives!) of HK$100K which I can play about with and am comfortable losing (obviously don't want to, but this us a bit of bonus cash, so all good if it goes poof)
    What do you guys reckon?
    That depends entirely on your long-term plan for your finances, including whether you anticipate any additions (on a consistent basis), or withdrawals (at a scheduled horizon).

Given the non-systematic way you have phrased this question regarding this particular sum of money, even more importantly you have to ask yourself what your goals (for this) are. Are they something non-financial such as fun, learning, freed from anxiety about what to do with the money, or something else altogether?

Only after answering the questions honestly to yourself can you have a better idea where you should be looking.
    hkinvest likes this.

Honestly, I think it's best to just use a robo-advisor if you don't want to put too much effort / risk in highly speculative assets. I've been giving Sofi another shot because I can't be arsed to think about investing at the moment.

They charge HK$30/mo and provide the portfolio (US listed ETFs) to you and do the rebalancing automatically. I dumped 1mil into their semi-aggressive portfolio which consists of:

VTI: 43% (US total market)
    VEA: 22% (total developed ex-US market)
    BND:16% (bonds)
    VWO:15% (emerging markets)

There's also a bit of gold and high yield corporate bonds to make up the last few %

I mostly agree with the portfolio allocation and don't have to think about it which is a bonus.

hkinvest likes this.

Nothing wrong with a small portion of that $100k into bitcoin or some other crypto, particular as you said up front you would be comfortable with losses, just be sure to treat it as gambling. But yeah, the bulk I would just put into an ETF/tracker.

hkinvest likes this.

You could just buy Apple shares AAPL and let them ride or if as other posters have said you want to play then get into cheaper stocks and have a bit of fun.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast