Like Tree235Likes

Best Time Deposit Offers?

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    So under that case those entities are subsidiaries.. not called branches of the main bank.

Speak to the banks enough (instead of sprouting arrogant one liners here) and one will know senior bankers themselves also distinct between being a subsidiary or a branch of the main bank. All are subject to supervision as long as they operate in that country..
    I think this has been clarified already but if you still choose to believe this, it's up to you. Some others here also "speak to the banks enough".

Quote Originally Posted by shree711:
    I think this has been clarified already but if you still choose to believe this, it's up to you. Some others here also "speak to the banks enough".
    Not sure what you are arguing.. you have just posted that the india banks do not have overseas incorporated entities.. so those in hk are their branches and not the subsidiaries.. what's wrong with that I have been trying to tell Rob?
    Last edited by freeier; 27-09-2022 at 05:42 PM.

As an update, now banks like SBI are offering 4.9% for 1 year and 5% for 18 months.

shri, achanster and Chekki like this.

on which currency/ies please?

Quote Originally Posted by achanster:
    on which currency/ies please?

https://hk.statebank/deposit-interest-rates
    achanster and Chekki like this.

Thanks. Looks like they want USD desperately!

qhank likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by achanster:
    Thanks. Looks like they want USD desperately!
    Nothing surprising or alarming there, INR is depreciating and RBI reserves slowly depleting, large and rich diaspora of NRIs have always been saviour whenever India needs foreign currencies, SBI being the largest public sector bank leading the cause and playing its role here, private sector banks are not too far behind..
    achanster and shri like this.

Indeed... I'd put SBI going under into almost the same bracket as HSBC going under. I.e. the morning that happens the loss of your life savings will be the least of the world's worries.

Regretting taking the 3.6% HKD 3.4% USD HSBC expat pricing on 12m TD a few weeks ago already. Will bite on their 4.5% GBP current offer though as even if rates are going to 6% that feels like it'll have to be done gradually. Hooray for -6% real return.

ndt, Jalloner54 and Gollygordon like this.

USD is more commonly use in banking.. banks take in USD they also loan out USD.. mostly the hk banks need HKD as they do loans onshore... the foreign banks will convert the hkd they receive into USD for their balance sheet usage.

Anyway the main reason is also USD 1y rates are higher than HK 1y rates in the interbank market now.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    Regretting taking the 3.6% HKD 3.4% USD HSBC expat pricing on 12m TD a few weeks ago already.
    Bit surprised you bit the bullet little early knowing well where rates are going and predicting well in advance what FED was/is doing is still not enough..

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast