Like Tree40Likes

Need Advice : Trouble with Landlord

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

just pick a few of your bulky friends and pay the landlord a visit. Throw some red paint on his door if he is not home.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    You're screwed. Landlords have the power once you hand over that key. It's an odd one though. Unless you did intentionally damage the heater (some kind of external damage - I'm slightly suspicious that you haven't used the heater since returning) then I can't see how it is anything but wear and tear. Example: our landlord just paid 15k to get the air conditioning fixed.

What you should have done is get the heater fixed and have landlord pay for it (as someone above notes, it is the LL's responsibility. By ignoring it, you opened the door and the landlord jumped right in.

Lesson learned I hope. Never trust a landlord. Hold back the rent for the equivalent of the deposit and commit to paying for anything you have genuinely damaged. Landlords don't like this? Unlucky. There's nothing they can do about it.

Oh, and don't take cheques. It's 2022.
    Didn't know about the damage actually. Happily took the cheque and deposited. LL started Whatsapping next day that water heater doesn't work. Should've pressed for Account Transfer then and there, My Mistake.

In some countries, Bounced Cheque attracts litigation but not here.

Small Claims Tribunal Will Probably Help But That's a Long Process.

I just looked at prices of electric water heaters online and that number seems closer to replacement cost than repair cost. See if you can get it down to 2000 HKD and be done with it, your life isn't worth the grief of going to small claims about this (and, yes, landlords know this and get away with murder because of this).

Send him some screen shots of water heaters similar to yours and show him that the price he is quoting is way out of line...

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    No sensible landlord will return the deposit until after the tenant has moved out and they have done an inspection.
    No sensible tenant will pay the last two months rent in Hong Kong due to the system that lets the landlord arbitarily deduct costs from the deposit with zero realistic recourse for the tenant. Case in point, this thread.

If the landlord inspected the property as fine, and then signed off by giving you the cheque, then he is legally bound to honour the cheque. It is his own loss that he did not inspect the electrical appliance.

If you deposit the cheque then you have a bounced cheque.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    I just looked at prices of electric water heaters online and that number seems closer to replacement cost than repair cost. See if you can get it down to 2000 HKD and be done with it, your life isn't worth the grief of going to small claims about this (and, yes, landlords know this and get away with murder because of this).

Send him some screen shots of water heaters similar to yours and show him that the price he is quoting is way out of line...
    Installed cost or product cost?

Honestly you can negotiate a bit but I would just suck it up and learn a lesson. You paid this person about 2m HKD over the 5 years. 5k is not worth the hassle, better tell him off and hold your head high

Don't pay. ( and this is me speaking as a landlord)

electric water heater tank is a fixture. That is landlord's responsibility.Even if you were living thee and idiscovered it did not work, and you notified him;, he is under an obligation to pay for it.

Standard Tenancy agreements state landlord responsible for fixtures and fittings. Check your agreement

Beanieskis and bdw like this.

Also, he issued the cheque after inspection. His lost

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:

She got it repaired from Company and Sent me the bill of HK$4500
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast