HK Mortgage for UK Property?

HK Mortgage for UK Property?

In anyone aware if it possible to obtain a mortgage in Hong Kong for buying a property in the UK.

Thanks

Not possible.

It depends on your definition of "In HongKong" is.

If you mean can you find a locally available foreign bank, then the answer is certainly yes. Lloyds used to do them just before the credit crunch, you should check with them. They were just one of many that were doing them.

There are also many companies in HongKong that will help you with arranging mortgages with various banks, for properties in the UK.
    I recently obtained a mortgage with RBOS-Singapore for a UK property.
    Here is one company :
    :: Clearwater International Ltd. ::
    There are dozens more out there that will do same/similar things.

HC

Thank you for the info.

I'm guessing that the interest rates here are higher than they are in the UK. But with the current exchange rate and the assumption that it will return to around 15HKD to the pound this seems like a good option.

Do you know if the UK banks will give me a mortgage if I live and work in Hong Kong?

The answer is "Depends on their mood" :-)

At one time or another, i've received offers from all UK banks for mortages for UK properties for non-UK residents.
    HSBC, RBS, Lloyds -- they have all done them at not too distant past.
    With credit crunch, that may have all changed -- its best to contact a local company here who can help you out with selection of mortgages. Many financial advisor type of outfits can help you with this.

The interest rates are very competitive and typically you will also have the option of doing multi-currency mortgages.

HC

What about mortgaging a Canadian property in Hong Kong? Has anyone had that experience?

I'd like to know that too. Can I buy Canadian property with a mortgage from HK? What are the tax implications as a non-resident of Canada?