Lost in MPF

Closed Thread

Question Lost in MPF

First time workin in HK and not sure how all this MPF works...

Do I go high or go low for investment?

Tips anyone?

Cheers

The amount you are forced to invest is tiny and useless for a pension if you are an expat. Play safe (ie low risk investment) and then withdraw it when you leave. You unlikely to have the time period necessary to make a sensible long term investment so risky assets are even more risky.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Au contraire
    If you are young and the maximum input of $24,000 [per annum] is a pittance then you should be put everything in the most lucrative fund you can find.
    At the end of your term here you can withdraw everything. I know some people who on having left still maintain their account in case they return.

Quote Originally Posted by Gal from Aus:
    First time workin in HK and not sure how all this MPF works...

Do I go high or go low for investment?

Tips anyone?

Cheers
    What funds are being offered? HSBC or something else?

And BTW, expats are exempt from participating in MPF for the first 12 months

The fund is Manulife...I think I might play low....

Quote Originally Posted by rapid_jap:
    And BTW, expats are exempt from participating in MPF for the first 12 months
    That does not apply in general, only if you are not permitted to stay in HK for more than 13 months.

Expats can request an exemption however if they are investing in an overseas pension scheme, see also here: Exemptions under the MPF System