Buying property in China clarification

Closed Thread

Buying property in China clarification

Hello all,

From what I read, the rule for buying property in China for non mainland residents is:
    -----
    You must work or study in China for the minimum of one year. This law does not apply to Overseas Chinese, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau residents, who are automatically eligible.
    -----

Does anyone have any first hand information that if I am a Hong Kong Resident (HKID RTL), then I would be allowed to buy property? I understand it only states resident, but sometimes when they state that, they mean permanent resident, just didn't add the permanent part.

Thank you

p.s. I tried to google it but found nothing. Maybe I am not entering the key words to catch on the search.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL:
    Hello all,

From what I read, the rule for buying property in China for non mainland residents is:
    -----
    You must work or study in China for the minimum of one year. This law does not apply to Overseas Chinese, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau residents, who are automatically eligible.
    -----

Does anyone have any first hand information that if I am a Hong Kong Resident (HKID RTL), then I would be allowed to buy property? I understand it only states resident, but sometimes when they state that, they mean permanent resident, just didn't add the permanent part.

Thank you

p.s. I tried to google it but found nothing. Maybe I am not entering the key words to catch on the search.

TIA
    I don't know anything about such a rule. I bought properties in Shanghai in 2001 and 2004 With an F visa and didn't mention that I was a HK resident. Rules may have changed though and they may vary from place to place. So you'd better ask in the place where you want to buy.