Like Tree2Likes

Investing shares and HSI

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

How popular is this Hong Kong tracker fund?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Popular in what sense?

As in ... Is it what most people would go for when buying shares?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Personally I would never recommend unit trusts or mutual funds - they almost all underperform the indexes they try to track and a significant proportion of your money goes to the fund managers and as commission.

For investing generally in Hong Kong you can't beat the Tracker Fund in my opinion - it even pays dividends as if you heldd the underlying shares (which many mutual funds do not).
    I agree the fees can be high and certainly need to be taken into consideration against potential returns, but there are a vast range of funds available and many of them perform very well. They can also give access to markets otherwise not accessible to an individual investor.

I don't disagree that the Tracker Fund is a good option in a lot of senses, but I think it's important that the OP knows what they're getting into before jumping in - in the event of a double dip recession, for example (though personally I can't see that happening), they may find themselves in a much worse position than they were expecting! Not saying a fund would do any better, but I think it's important to look at all the options to make an informed decision; for example, bonds might be a better option if looking for something lower risk.

Nucleus... everyone has different investment goals so that is a difficult question to answer, but something like the Tracker Fund would certainly be a popular choice as it is fairly straightforward to invest in and gives you access to a whole basket of shares rather than just one, which spreads your risk over different industries.

I plan to save for 1 year then use that savings to buy into thus fund. Hopefully in 3 years time I should be able to get a nice return.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe you will or maybe you won't - that's the problem with investing in shares - you may lose half your money or more. There are much safer investments around, but only earning 2 or 3% per year at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by newsense:
    They can also give access to markets otherwise not accessible to an individual investor.
    Yes, this is about the only reason I would still consider using them - I do actually own a small amount in one Latin American fund for exactly this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by nucleus888:
    I plan to save for 1 year then use that savings to buy into thus fund. Hopefully in 3 years time I should be able to get a nice return.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Yes, there is no should when investing in the stock market. That's why I recommend you seek some professional advice. If you are looking for something with a guaranteed return, this might not be the right product for you.

I'm not trying to put you off - you could do very well investing in such a fund - just remember, people can and do lose a lot of money on the stock market, and if you are not prepared to take that risk, you should maybe look at other options as well.

If fact I want something with fast and big return ... Within 1-3 months
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by nucleus888:
    If fact I want something with fast and big return ... Within 1-3 months
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I thought you just said 3 years??