Like Tree10Likes

Is this market manipulation, and is it illegal?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    If I knew HK was this easy I'd start trading here. LOL
    You would have to pass the exams to improve the gaping holes in your knowledge first.

Quick .. someone identify the company

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Quick .. someone identify the company
    What does the first who identifies it get?

Please don't identify it. The last thing I want is for the SFC to suspend trading, and me to lose my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:
    You would have to pass the exams to improve the gaping holes in your knowledge first.
    And .............. its proven that Football16 has only time to listen to themselves rather than be guided from those who have professional experience. I would point out not me, but that which I recommended as I would choose to be guided by. A highly qualified legal professional working in the sector.

I guess if they accepted to be examined the answers might be centered around " learn from me you muppets, you know nothing".

Quote Originally Posted by John_Pinkelin:
    I have been buying shares of a medium-sized HK company before and during the current "slight adjustment".

One thing that I didn't really understand was why the share value of this company didn't drop as much as that of other companies. Today I checked the volume of transactions during the last few days, and I noticed something very peculiar: Thursday, Friday, Monday and Tuesday (i.e. the last four days, I only have data for the last 5 days) someone bought 2,000 shares (the smallest possible amount) for about 3.5% more than the previous price, about 5 minutes before the market closure, thus bringing up the closing price by 3.5%.

This can't possibly be done by a wise investor, since the price of the 2,000 shares would have been about HK$950, and the costs (HK$150 or so) would make this purchase totally silly. It's obviously done to bring up the price, and prevent it from sliding further (it almost didn't drop at all from May 6).

I wonder under what conditions this is illegal. Of course one can decide to make very silly decisions as to how to invest one's money, but I believe that market manipulation is sometimes illegal. What do you people think?

Maybe this is actually relatively common?
    Give your heads a shake. This has nothing to do with me. The trade was 2,000 shares.... Read the OP.

And you clowns are suggesting that the market might be manipulated?

Give us a break!!!! This really is funny. Professional advice..lol.. Hilarious.

OP worried about suspending trading on a 2000 share order 3.5% over the prior price.

Boris and his supporting cast - you guys want us to believe your histronics??? This is just common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Pinkelin:
    Well, I told you it's a medium-sized company.

Market Capitalisation: HKD 752,902,115
    Net Asset Value: HKD 672,760,000
    Dividend, according to today's price: 4.42%

Why I don't sell? I have about 380,000 shares, and today there were 3 movements:
    1: 20,000 at 10.46
    2: 36,000 at 11.04
    3: 2,000 at 11.50

Yesterday there were more, about 10...
    Identical market cap to Bossini's although not clearly the same price.

http://www.irasia.com/stocks/getstoc...php?codeid=592

Similar NAV and MC to Bossini's... Just not the same share price.

http://sc.hkex.com.hk/gb/www.hkex.co...&StockCode=592
    Last edited by Football16; 01-06-2010 at 03:29 PM.

So this stock has around ten trades per day? These shares are so illiquid that anybody wishing to buy MUST bid several pegs higher than the last transacted price otherwise there will be no seller. Not manipulation...just supply and demand at work.

Football16 and John_Pinkelin like this.

Nothing in the Hang Seng Composite with a similar price & market cap. Are you sure you don't have a factor of a million missing somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:
    Nothing in the Hang Seng Composite with a similar price & market cap. Are you sure you don't have a factor of a million missing somewhere?
    Just shows the gaping gap in your knowledge Geoff. Bossini's is exactly the same on MC and NAV.

Maybe you are less smart than you think you are but reading the posts before yours is never a strong suit with you on any thread.

Care to let stupid Canadians like me know how this one 2000 share trade has manipulated the market you clown!!??? I thought so. You are Boris are a good pair.

Financial indicators (ended 30/06/2009)
    Earning (loss) per share HKD 0.0316
    Net asset value HKD 672,760,000
    Net profit (loss) HKD 50,252,000
    P/E ratio (times) 14.87
    Basic information
    Principal activities Investment holding and the retailing, distribution and wholesaling of garments.
    Chairman Tsin Man Kuen Bess
    Principal office Level 1, The Long Beach
    8 Hoi Fai Road
    Tai Kok Tsui
    Kowloon,Hong Kong
    Place incorporated Bermuda
    Par Value HKD 0.1000
    Board lot 2,000
    Industry classification* Consumer Goods - Textiles & Clothing
    Registrar Computershare Hong Kong Investor Services Ltd.
    Market Main Board
    Listing date 02/11/1993
    Trading currency HKD
    Market capitalisation HKD 752,902,115
    Date last update 29/05/2010
    Last edited by Football16; 01-06-2010 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    Just shows the gaping gap in your knowledge Geoff. Bossini's is exactly the same on MC and NAV.
    Bossini isn't in the Hang Seng Composite, numbnuts. I'll accept your apology as and when you see fit.