Like Tree7Likes

Settling tax bill when leaving the country

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Settling tax bill when leaving the country

In a few months I will be leaving Hong Kong to take up work in Singapore.

I have tried searching for threads regarding what to do about tax when I leave and also had a look on the website but have not had much joy. I was hoping to settle my bill before I actually leave so that I don't have to have the hassle of my employer holding my last months salary.

Any advice or links I may find useful?

Thank you.

You or your employer need to call the IRD directly and ask them for the bill. They give you some document (forgot what its called) when you settle it. If you time it right, there is no employer withholding of last month salary.

almightygoodgod likes this.

Taxpayer who is about to leave Hong Kong

It should all be there - you need to get a last statement of earnings, take it to the IRD and settle tax on the earnings, they will then give you a Letter of Release and the company can then make a final payment.

FOr letter of release, make sure your company gives you correct form..before taking final salary slip from your company/last statement of earning, inform them you will leave country. That letter should mention that company is aware you are leaving country. Only then IRD will issue letter of release to you. It just takes 20-30 min max and one to two meetings to get all things sorted.

Last edited by mercury_element; 20-04-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Thanks for all of the (very quick) information. I made the mistake of tying down all of my money in an investment just before I got offered this job so things were going to be tight for the move anyway, if they witheld my last pay packet I really would be stuck!

Once you received the form IR56G from your employer, you should go to IRD with the form. The IRD could give the tax assessment in same day or within 1 week (by post). Then you pay the tax, IRD will send the "release letter" to your employer within one week. (IRD could even give you the "release letter" in a few mins if you present the tax clearance record in person). Employer will not hold your final payment once they have your release letter from IRD.

yanmin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ACHK:
    Once you received the form IR56G from your employer, you should go to IRD with the form. The IRD could give the tax assessment in same day or within 1 week (by post). Then you pay the tax, IRD will send the "release letter" to your employer within one week. (IRD could even give you the "release letter" in a few mins if you present the tax clearance record in person). Employer will not hold your final payment once they have your release letter from IRD.
    Yes IR56G, i forgot that...
    Just a thought, OP must have paid the provisional tax for next year also, then mostly he will get his money back, not sure though.

OP, in any case it wont take more than a few days, and if you get refund, IRD will give you a date based on when you are leaving (normally 3-4 days after your first meeting) and then you can just collect your refund.

Quote Originally Posted by almightygoodgod:
    Thanks for all of the (very quick) information. I made the mistake of tying down all of my money in an investment just before I got offered this job so things were going to be tight for the move anyway, if they witheld my last pay packet I really would be stuck!
    You would be able to withdraw your MPF benefits as well, if any..that might help you with the situation a bit..

I got my IR56G yesterday and stopped by the Revenue Tower in Wanchai this morning. Took me ~30 mins to fill in the forms and one of their officers gave me my final assessment in <30 minutes. (Still super impressed by their efficiency!)

I'll be able to pick up my refund check next Monday after 4pm. Forgot to ask about the release letter (hence was poking around here) but it looks like I can get them when I pick up my check too. Sweet! I'll definitely miss HK for its efficiency!

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yanmin:
    I got my IR56G yesterday and stopped by the Revenue Tower in Wanchai this morning. Took me ~30 mins to fill in the forms and one of their officers gave me my final assessment in <30 minutes. (Still super impressed by their efficiency!)

I'll be able to pick up my refund check next Monday after 4pm. Forgot to ask about the release letter (hence was poking around here) but it looks like I can get them when I pick up my check too. Sweet! I'll definitely miss HK for its efficiency!
    Yes, when you collect the cheque, you can also collect the letter of release same day.
    yanmin likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast