Like Tree17Likes

Tax for HK income earned before official work-visa issue

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tax for HK income earned before official work-visa issue

Hey folks,

I was hoping that you guys could help me out here. I came to HK at the beginning of the year, and my company made an application for my work visa, which was officially issued by the government several months after my arrival. Now, between my arrival and the official issue of work visa, I have had HK salary.

Now that I need to file HK tax, how do I report such a salary before official work visa?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

So you want to tell the tax people you were working here illegally?!?!?!

To add, it's not an "official" employment visa, it's an employment visa. If you have one you can work. If you don't have one, YOU CANNOT WORK. There is no in-between.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 19-12-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Since you and your employer have such a low regard for the law, why bother doing a tax return at all?

just fill it in all in. IRD and IMMG are different companies and dont work together Haahaaa

if IRD ask the just say I was paid extra but didnt work as like a bonus to get you to come to HK

HowardCoombs likes this.

>> how do I report such a salary before official work visa?

Question is ... has your employer reported the salary before you got your work visa?

I might suggest sending a pm to a user called imshah ...

the 2 departments dont talk to each other.

Check with your company what they reported to IRD on your behalf and ensure what you are reporting matches what your company reported.

Last edited by shri; 19-12-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Yes, make sure your lies don't go apart far enough to be detected.

Since your employer is clearly ignorant of the law you better inform them and ensure all formal docs actually match the work visa. Re mind them of the 300000 fine for employing illegal workers should help. then align your forms with theirs. l would NOT rely on the two depts not talking to each other.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks Mobile

carang and Fiona in HKG like this.

I appreciate the helpful responses here, and I can see why some comments are snarky.

I was quite clueless when I got relocated to HK, and everyone in my company and the legal/HR service firm that my company consults assured me that working in HK as such is fine. I appreciate frank responses in this forum. So, I need some help here, guys -- I am not trying to illegally work or evade tax here. How do I get around this? Just match the number with the employer? I am leaving HK soon permanently, so I would like to sort this out before I leave.

Last edited by lord; 20-12-2012 at 12:54 AM.

you MUST sort it out before you leave. the company for which you work cannot legally pay you your last month's salary until your tax bill is settled and you receive a letter of release.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast