Like Tree3Likes

Tax Declarations - HK and Canada

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Yes it would. If the amounts on your personal tax return don't match the amounts on the company's IR56B then I would expect an investigation from IRD. In the companies I have worked at here it was normal practice for them to give each employee a copy of the IR56B that they filed regarding them. You need to try to get that from your employer.

It is in the company's interests to give you this because if the authorities discover the illegal employment then they will be prosecuted as well as you.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 12-01-2013 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock
    Yes it would. If the amounts on your personal tax return don't match the amounts on the company's IR56B then I would expect an investigation from IRD. In the companies I have worked at here it was normal practice for them to give each employee a copy of the IR56B that they filed regarding them. You need to try to get that from your employer.

It is in the company's interests to give you this because if the authorities discover the illegal employment then they will be prosecuted as well as you.
    Ok, I realize now I do have the IR56B from my company, and it does include the unsponsored months.....

If I submitted a personal tax return which matches the amount on the IR56B, is the IRD likely to compare it to the date my employment visa was granted? Getting my employer to change the amounts filed would be the better option, but I'm not sure how long that would take.
    Plus, she and I are not on good terms, so speaking with her office would be a bit unpleasant.

I think the importsnt thing is thst your tsx return mtches the ir56b. If it does then no resson why ird would tlk to immd.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock
    I think the importsnt thing is thst your tsx return mtches the ir56b. If it does then no resson why ird would tlk to immd.
    Makes sense to me Do you happen to know if Immigration takes tax returns into consideration when applying for permanent residency? Just don't want this to come up and bite me again later on...

Thanks so much, btw, very much appreciated

I had the same situation with my company when I first arrived (because they didn't know the law). I got mine to change the IR56B (they just cited "made an error") so that they dates matched my visa dates but the money was unchanged. For the same reasons - don't want it to come and bite me later. It also protected the company if anyone took a look - they can be fined 300k for employing someone without a visa. That was the line I took with my (then awful) company - "you really should fix this to prevent yourself getting fined".... it sounded like I was helping them. If that helps you talk to your awful boss.

katkatkat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by katkatkat
    ...Thanks so much, btw, very much appreciated
    And thank you, katkatkat, no one else around here has ever gotten Gruntfuttock to post in txtspk. Now I have seen it all.
    MovingIn07 and katkatkat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    And thank you, katkatkat, no one else around here has ever gotten Gruntfuttock to post in txtspk. Now I have seen it all.
    Personally I think a friend got hold of his phone!

Actually my phone was being a bit grumpy and for some reason the 'a' softkey wasn't working!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2