Like Tree5Likes

Where can I find good info on paying and filing my HK IRD personal taxes?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Where can I find good info on paying and filing my HK IRD personal taxes?

I moved to Hong Kong recently and a friend in HK told me he just got an IRD Tax form that must be completed and sent back by January 15. I did not get this.

I looked on this geoexpat site but cannot find a definitive guide or info to what we as expats need to pay, when we file IRD personal taxes, etc. I'm sure it's here or online, but since I'm new, all the old info seems very difficult to find.

Does anyone know of a good online resource or location I can find good info on when and how to pay my personal taxes in HK?

Cheers~

Your company must have given you copy of the form, giving details of income, which they must have submitted to the Inland revenue Dept. If you do not have this form, ask your H R department.
    Tax Information

How recent have u been working in hk.

Ah ok, so it goes through the company. Very good, I'll do that today. Cheers~

Been working in HK since April 2014

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Don't panic. Your employer and the IRD do most of the work. You just have to complete a very simple tax return (BIR60). Many of us elect to complete the form online, which takes just a few minutes because a) it is very simple and b) is pre-filled with certain information.

Here's some other basic information you might useful:
    Employee Tax Obligations
    Filing Tax Returns

And if you want to see about doing it all online: eTax - " offers you an EASY, SECURE and ENVIRONMENT-FRIENDLY means to facilitate your compliance with the tax law"

Quote Originally Posted by hkfamily88:
    You will get your tax notice in May 2015:

Quote Originally Posted by hkfamily88:
    You haven't worked a full tax year yet. It runs from April 1 to March 31. You'll likely get the information from your employer after March 31 and have a return to complete by sometime in May (dates are approximate).

And here is the guide for 2013-14 that comes with the return so you know what to expect (it doesn't really change, I've not read it for decades ): BIR60 Guide
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 06-01-2015 at 10:23 AM.

Regarding payment, you'll receive a tax bill, which will include provisional tax for 2015-16, later this year. Payment is usually due in January (1st instalment - larger amount) and April (2nd instalment - smaller amount). So for the tax year 2014-15, the payments will be due in 2016.

First tax bill Is always the most painful.
    Previous years tax and the current years tax in one hit.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast