Like Tree3Likes

Rental Reimbursement - rental receipts

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rental Reimbursement - rental receipts

That time of year is coming up and as a newbie to HKG, i'm now in the position of having to try to get rental receipts from the landlord.

I've already approached the agent to ask for receipts from the landlord but I'm not optimistic considering the agent has now twice tried to lower my expectations for getting the receipts by advising that the landlord travels a lot/lives overseas.

Short of pointing out the legislation regarding rental receipts, is there anything else I can do? I've been sending weekly emails to give them plenty of time.

My company is very rigid on this and requires receipts to be signed. There is no way around it unfortunately.

12 months post dated cheques in return for 12 months of post dated rental receipts, I think this is how one of my neighbours handles her LL.

A few years ago I had this problem as well. I printed out monthly receipts and provided stamped addressed envelopes (a friend in Australia got me the stamps) and all that was required was for the landlord to sign the receipt each month and place it in the provided stamped envelope. From that point my problem was solved. Might not help in your case but perhaps making it the least possible effort for the landlord might do the trick?

I must admit I didn't even know about the scheme until my first day at work in HKG and by then, we'd already signed and moved into our apartment. Definitely something we'll be looking out for when we sign our next lease.

Thanks Fiona - will use that suggestion. I've been offering to help the agent/landlord by creating the receipts and all they have to do is sign but have't had much of a response in the past few weeks other than it'll be difficult to get done. ARG.

Oh! Thanks for your post! I didn't even think to ask what I needed. I manually deposit into my LL's account each month and thought that would be enough. Now I will double check and see what's required.

Quote "My company is very rigid on this and requires receipts to be signed. There is no way around it unfortunately"
    Stop paying rent, until you get all your receipts.

Would love to take the approach of not paying rent but also not keen to put my landlord offside as so far, they've been ok. Next step I think will be to contact the landlord direct. So far everything has been through the agent as middle man.

screw the agent, once they got their commission they are pretty much useless or will not give it their best to help you. I never saw mine or contacted mine after renting this place, its always DIRECT deal with LL. This might not work for LL thats cant communicate with English

I'm pretty sure that not issuing rental receipts is against the law.

Anyway, try asking your HR if a stamped tenancy contract is sufficient. I suspect it's to satisfy the housing allowance tax perk that an employer should exercise control of payments to employees for reimbursement of rent and a stamped tenancy contract should do that (been a while since I've done tax consulting so things may have changed).

Quote Originally Posted by bravizzel:
    Would love to take the approach of not paying rent but also not keen to put my landlord offside as so far, they've been ok. Next step I think will be to contact the landlord direct. So far everything has been through the agent as middle man.
    Explain to the landlord, that without receipts, your company will not pay the rent.
    ray98 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast