Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By john.doe1985
  • 1 Post By Oldtimer

Taxation of Bonus Payment Earned OUTSIDE HK but paid in HK

Taxation of Bonus Payment Earned OUTSIDE HK but paid in HK

I was transferred to HK in April 2015 by my current company. I had worked for them previously in UK and had a bonus payment due in May for my work over the period April 2014-15. I am due to lodge my first year taxes and want to know whether this bonus payment is taxable in Hong Kong given it was allocated to me for work outside of HK by a company outside of HK (although it was paid by the HK entity)?

Any help appreciated!

It is taxable in the UK rather than in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    It is taxable in the UK rather than in Hong Kong.
    Ouch! I'm so sorry.

Only if you declare it.......

Hi, are you a tax-resident in Hong Kong? I mean your physical residence in Hong Kong are more than 180 days. If not, do not worry, you don't need to pay any tax in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by LeavingHK9:
    I was transferred to HK in April 2015 by my current company. I had worked for them previously in UK and had a bonus payment due in May for my work over the period April 2014-15. I am due to lodge my first year taxes and want to know whether this bonus payment is taxable in Hong Kong given it was allocated to me for work outside of HK by a company outside of HK (although it was paid by the HK entity)?

Any help appreciated!
    If the Bonus was paid by HK Company, check with them how they have declared the amount . Did the company give you the copy of the employer salary return form? Is the amount shown in that form?
    chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer:
    If the Bonus was paid by HK Company, check with them how they have declared the amount . Did the company give you the copy of the employer salary return form? Is the amount shown in that form?
    It doesn't make any difference. I went through this twice before and the correct answer to the OP is in post two.

Can confirm. Bonus accrued to other country is taxable in that country rather than HK. Speaking from personal experience

TheBrit likes this.

happened to me too